Chapter 31

When he turned the corner to the stairs, Larry nearly collided with Sarah, Instantly he brought up his guard. Even though she was nice enough, not disruptive at all - at all, which seemed strange at best - Larry had never warmed to her. She drifted around the penthouse lost in thought most of the time and it didn't seem like she felt much. Thea spent a lot of time with her though. As for her interactions with Lau, they were just, well, Larry just didn't get them at all. He did wonder if they had fucked yet. Lau's overall history with women aside, the sexual chemistry between them was like too many neon signs on a black night.

"Oh!" Sarah jumped back with her hand pressed to her chest, "you scared me!" She gave a breathless laugh. "Where are you off too?" she asked lightly. Larry leaned back slightly and tightened his jawe but said nothing. Now Sarah was uncomfortable.

"Out," he finally managed.

Sarah's shoulders sagged a bit, but not in relief, he could tell. It was more like defeat. "Right, well, have a nice time." She smiled but her eyes looked worn and tired.

"Thanks." They began to part ways when he grasped her arm. She turned and locked eyes with him. "Are you coming to Berlin Sarah?"

The question took her off guard. One because it may have been the most Larry had spoken to her at once since she arrive. And two, why would he even think to ask? "NO, I haven't thought about it. I haven't been invited or anything." She left out that she probably couldn't afford it anyway. Her funds were limited and her future uncertain.

"Hmm'," was all he said with a quick nod. Then he was gone down the stairs.

"What was that about?" she asked nobody.