Chapter 7

I thought about returning to the compound to fetch my supplies, but I knew there were still a few warriors around. The tribe never left the compound completely unguarded. I'd gotten lucky with Pode. I might not be so lucky if I went back. If he had told someone where he was going before ambushing me in my hut, they might be looking for him. And me.

No, I would not be going back. The taste of freedom was much too sweet to risk it. Best if I forged ahead.

All I had was a bow and one arrow. And a piece of hide. My eyes strayed to Pode's corpse, still bleeding into the dirt. The only thing he had worth looting were his deer hide trousers. I wrinkled my nose at the thought. I didn't really want to wear the man's filthy old pants, but they would be warmer than the tattered loincloth I wore.

After removing the arrow from his leg and wrestling the trousers off his limp body, I decided against wearing them right away. They were as rank as the rest of him. Hopefully I could find a stream to wash them first.

I now had two arrows in my possession. That wasn't much to survive on. My gaze crept to the dead man's face. Specifically his impaled eye. My stomach turned at the prospect of extracting the arrow. I mean, it was an eyeball. Shredded.

I approached the embedded arrow, keeping my eyes on the yellow grass next to it. The churning in my stomach didn't go away.

I would just yank the arrow out and go. That's all I had to do.

I knelt down next to his head and grasped the arrow.

One, two, three—I wrenched it out.

The resulting squishing sound sent acid up my throat. I fell back on my butt. The arrow was in my hand, though. Bits of gore clung to it, and I shook them off like they were venomous spiders.

I told myself not to look at his face. I had my arrow now. I didn't need to look at him. Do not look at him.

I looked at him.

I truly wish I hadn't.

I clambered backward, hastily wrapped everything in the piece of hide, and hurried away.

It was over. My ordeal and my captivity were truly over.

***

I knew where all the tribes were located because I was always sent to spy on them. So I headed in a direction away from all of them. I had no idea what was out this way, but it had to be better than dealing with stupid tribes.

It was hard to ignore my gurgling stomach as I trekked. I envied the rabbits' ability to subsist on clover, and I cursed my inability to shoot one. I hadn't had any practice since Pa died three years ago.

I did, however manage to find a tiny creek. After drinking my fill, I washed the grime off Pode's pants as best I could. There was still a hole in the thigh from the arrow. And they were too big, of course. I had to roll the cuffs a few times and cinch together wads of material with the drawstring. I probably looked ridiculous. But they were my pants now.

By dusk, I found another tree, though there were no coyote dens around it. I discovered I was able to scale up its sizable trunk with the ease of a squirrel. I found a nest with two tiny eggs in it, and greedily sucked them dry. The dense foliage of this tree shielded me from the cold wind that had started up after sundown, so I stayed a little longer in its protective embrace.

Emptying my scanty belongings onto the crook of a bough, I wrapped the length of hide around my shoulders for extra warmth. The scent of home floated up to my nose, and I inhaled deeply. Ma had been preparing to make something out of this piece of hide. She'd said it was for me, but wouldn't say what she was making. It wasn't big enough for pants, so I had no idea what she'd intended.

And now I'd never know.

I sniffled.

Ma wouldn't want me to cry. She'd tell me to be a brave young man and make something of myself. Be strong. Survive.

I set my jaw and rubbed my face dry. I would make Ma proud.

Without any thought or worry about falling, I spent the night among the swaying leaves.

Ahh peace. Hopefully there are no ants in that tree. Help keep Remi warm with your votes!