Oxygen.

~ 10 years later ~

Shubman's POV-

"KKR need 6 runs off 1 ball. Shubman Gill on strike. Can he do it?" The commentator spoke.

"This is the FINALS of VIVO IPL, everyone. It's KKR V/S RCB!" Another commentator spoke.

"Hey! Do you remember, years back, it was KKR V/S RCB, here in Chinnaswamy itself. And, it was the same situation, with Shubman Gill on strike. What a dejà vú!" The third commentator said.

And this was the place where I saw Adithi for the first time.

I looked at the stands where I saw her scream, years back.

A smile made its way on my face.

I looked at the bowler, who was running towards me.

I closed my eyes, and Adithi's face flashed infront of my eyes.

Opening my eyes, I looked at the bowler again.

He bowled a short ball, which was a stupid move from him.

I swung my bat, and hit the ball, which landed in the crowd.

"KKR BEAT RCB TO WIN THE IPL TROPHY!" The commentator announced.

I removed my helmet, and looked at Adithi, who was standing in the gallery.

I blew a kiss at her, and she returned the gesture.

My teammates ran towards me and engulfed me in tight hugs.

The youngsters carried me on their shoulders, and walked around the ground.

This was it.

My last IPL.

And, what an amazing way to end my IPL career.

I couldn't ask for more.

I looked at the sky, and smiled.

----

"Shubman Gill! What a spectacular IPL career you've had. From your first IPL to your last one. What do you have to say about it?" Dinesh Karthik asked me during the post match ceremony.

"Well, I'm really glad, that I've reached this height. There are too many people to thank. And, honestly, I can't thank them enough. Without them, I don't think I would've come this far. My parents, my coaches, my mentors, my fans, and there are so many other people. I'd specially like to thank Adithi, for making me this strong, for showing me who I am. And obviously, my daughter, who's been really lucky for me." I smiled.

"Which match has been your favourite till date?" He asked.

"Definitely the one where I spotted Adithi." I laughed.

He laughed along, and continued.

"I still remember, you got distracted by her which ended up getting you bowled." He chuckled.

"Yeah, and I never thought that I'd see her again, but I guess, destiny has its own plans." I smiled.

"You played an amazing knock of 67 off 34 balls in your last IPL match, also you've won the 'Man Of The Match' Award, and you're the Orange Cap Holder for this season. A good way to end your IPL career?" He asked.

"Well, yeah. I'm really happy with how I've played. And, I guess, it's all because of my hardwork and dedication towards my game. And, according to me, for any player, it's the best way to end their IPL career. So, I'm really glad." I said.

"Any tips for young players?" He asked.

"You should be the one advicing them." I laughed, to which he laughed along.

"Well, but yeah, I'd just like to tell them, that, concentrate on your career, the path isn't easy at all. Trust me, I've had a roller coaster ride. But at the end, it all depends on you. Dedication is very important. So, I guess, that's it." I smiled.

"Thank you so much, Shubman, for entertaining us for so many IPL seasons. We wish you best of luck for your future." He smiled.

I thanked him, and after hugging him, I walked over to my team mates, who were eagerly waiting to hold the IPL trophy in their hands.

The chairman of IPL handed me the trophy, and I lifted it up, above my head.

The jumps, the screams, the happiness, they were all worth it.

----

I was speaking to one of the young players, when my 9 years old daughter came running towards me.

"Daddy!"

I turned around, and picked her up.

"Hi babydoll!" I smiled.

"Daddy, you were fantastic." She said, excitedly.

I chuckled at her.

She had the same excitement level of Adithi.

She was a copy of Adithi.

Same hair colour, same complexion, same rosy cheeks, same soft pink lips, same beautiful big eyes.

"Thank you so much, babydoll." I kissed her cheek.

"Mumma would be so proud of you." She grinned.

I smiled at her, and looked up at the sky.

"Yeah, babydoll, mumma would be very proud of me." I said, looking up at the sky.

"Adithi!"

I saw Urvashi heading towards our direction.

"Adithi, let's go get ice cream?" She asked.

"Yes!" Adithi squealed and jumped down from my arms.

Yes, I kept my daughter's name Adithi.

Adithi Shubman Gill.

And, yes, 10 years back, I chose my daughter over Adithi, because I promised Adithi, that I would do so.

"I'm going with Vashi aunty. Bye daddy!" She said, and started walking away with Urvashi.

"Adithi!" I screamed, when they were at a distance.

I jogged up to them, and kneeled down to match Adithi's height.

Adjusting her chain, I smiled at her.

She kissed my cheek, and smiled back.

"Daddy, why do I have this?" She asked, referring to the chain, I'd gifted her, which had OXYGEN inscribbed on the pendant.

I kissed her forehead and answered,

"Because, if I was ever gasping for breath, I know you'd be my,"

I looked up towards the sky, a smile on my lips, before saying the last word.

"Oxygen"

****

Vote for the last time. ❤