V

Drapetomani
(n.)
•an overwhelming urge to run away
— — —
"This is insane. We're leaving, now." I walk back into my room and make my way to the window, Levi following behind me. I open the curtains slightly and sigh in relief when it's pitch black.

"They must've gotten kicked out by the hotel security." I say, unlocking the window. Levi walks over to the door and looks through the peephole. He steps back when cameras flash and the paparazzi outside start yelling.

"Just in the windows—they're still in the hallway. How are we going to leave without them noticing?" He asks, dragging his suitcase into the room. I grab his arm and walk back to the open window, using the air conditioner under it to lift myself up. I let go of his arm and climb out of the room onto the fire escape stairs. "Nevermind, just like that." He adds, climbing out after me.

I look down and notice some of the paparazzi circling the first floor, talking to police officers and hotel staff.

"My manager just sent me a text. She says she's waiting in a car with Rachel right in front of the lobby. Security can get us through, and they'll help us get our stuff back tomorrow." Levi beams, closing the window behind him. He reaches over and grabs my hand as he starts to make his way down the fire exit stairs. I start to take my hand out but sigh in defeat and keep it as we rush down quietly.

"Can you see any of them?" I ask once we reach the first floor, checking behind me occasionally. Levi shakes his head and leads me through the back of the hotel and enters through the cleaning staff's entrance.

"How do you know where all of this is?" I ask in surprise, carefully stepping around piles of dirty towels and cleaning supplies.

"It's not the first time I've had to do this, surprisingly." He says, laughing quietly as he walks out of the room onto the hallway that leads all the way to the lobby. I nod and look around, quickly pressing my back against the wall when I hear a commotion of voices. Levi does the same and starts to say something when I put my index up to my lips. I listen for a few minutes and turn to him with wide eyes.

"They're asking the paparazzi to leave, and it sounds like security's there so now's our chance." He gives my hand a reassuring squeeze and follows me as I start to walk down the hallway. As soon as we reach the lobby a wave of cameras on us breaks apart as two security guards push their way towards us. They start to shove their way out as Levi and I follow closely behind, shutting our eyes at the bright flashes.

"Mystery girl! Can you tell us your name?"

"Levi Miller, can you tell us anything about your current movie?"

"Are you two dating?"

"Levi! Levi! Where are you currently filming?"

"Levi! Are you and the mystery girl dating?"

"Can answer a few questions for us?!"

I pull my hoodie over my head and look down as I pull Levi along until we run out of the hotel and into the car. He sighs in relief and looks at me as he starts to speak, I pull him into a hug as I grin.

"We made it out!" We burst out laughing, in a mix of happiness and relief. I sit back and turn to aunt Rachel as I pull her in a hug, too.

"Are you guys alright? We called security a while ago but there were so many it was taking a while to get them all to leave." She explains as  the driver pulls out of the parking lot. I nod and look back as a few paparazzi follow the car. Levi shakes his head as he watches them and laughs.

"C'mon, I have an idea." He reaches up and pulls the sunroof back, standing on the seat to look out of it. I grin and follow him as he raises his arms up, cheering. I laugh and close my eyes as I feel the wind blow my hair back, opening them to throw my hands up and cheer with him.