VI

la douleur exquise
(n.)
• the heart-wrenching pain of wanting affection of someone unattainable.
———
"After the whole thing happened Rachel thought it was best if Levi and I weren't seen together for a while." I sigh into the phone as I pace aimlessly around the hair and makeup trailer.

"What? That sounds insane why would she make you guys do that? Don't you work on the same movie?" Clara replies, lowering her voice as if someone else was hearing her. I lay down on the couch and stare up at the ceiling, combing part of my hair with my fingers absentmindedly.

"We do, I'm just busy helping film other scenes he's not in. It took a while for all of this to blow over, she's just looking out for us that's all." I say, giving Gracie a small wave as she walks in with one of the supporting actresses for a last minute touch up.

"Well, it's not like you guys are ever gonna date, you're just friends right?" Clara says, making my smile falter. I nod, even though she can't see me.

"Right, right just friends. Yeah, I wouldn't even think about dating him," I force out a laugh and sit up when I glance at the clock inside the trailer. "I have to go, I'll talk to you later." I hang up the phone and shove it inside my pocket as I stand up.

"Who was that all about?" I walk over to the door and swing it open, freezing when I hear Gracie.

"Oh—no one. My friend was asking me about Levi after th—" I turn around slowly to face her and facepalm as I cut myself off. Gracie smirks as she applies powder onto the actress' face and shakes her head.

"Just friends, huh? You two are basically inseparable, I've seen the way he looks at you, Isab—"

"Just friends!" I call out, closing the trailer's door behind me as I hear her laugh. I shake my head and grin, pulling out my phone as I get a text message.

"I'm almost on set, are you there today?" I trip over a box and stumble to keep my balance as I get caught off guard by Levi's name on the screen. I start to type a response and frown when I get another message.

"That looked like it hurt."

I turn to look behind me and my eyes widen as I see Levi with a grin plastered across his face, his phone on one hand and the other seemed to be extended for a hug as he starts walking towards me. I cover my mouth with my hands in shock and laugh, stepping back. I start running to him and wrap my arms around him in a hug when we meet in the middle. My grin falters when a wave of embarrassment quickly washes over me.

"You saw that?!" I ask, turning to look at him and cringe as Levi laughs and nods. He hugs me back tightly and lifts me off the ground slightly. "Why didn't you tell me you were here?"

"I wanted to surprise you and it worked out pretty well." He says, a smirk across his face as I shake my head at him and smile. I hug him back and sigh as he lowers me back down.

"I hate you." I say sarcastically, shoving him lightly as I start walking to the house we're filming in for the Bucktin family.

- - -

"Stop moving Lev—I don't care if it's cold if you hold still I would've been done ages ago!" I say, swiping the red clay makeup across Levi's right temple to make it seem like he's been digging. He smirks and leans against his shovel as I put some of the makeup onto his forehead.

"You're cute when you're bossy." He says, sounding as if he was thinking out loud.

"Maybe if you stood st—" my eyes widen as I stop and look up at him, my mind finally processing what he said. I could tell he realized what he said, for his face was beet red like mine.

"Oh, I—uh didn't—I meant, um,"

"Go, go they're about to film." I cut him off and turn him around, shoving him back to the large hole in the backyard. He looks back at me and opens his mouth to say something, but closes it quickly and starts digging when the cameras start rolling. I close the bag with the clay in it and put it on Gracie's makeup table near the extra sound equipment. I sit next to Rachel and sigh, putting the headphones on my ears as I turn to the monitor. I watch the rest of the filming and sigh quietly as what he said replays in my head.

"Alright everyone that's a wrap for today!" Rachel calls out after hours of shooting. I take my headphones off and walk over to Levi as he stops covering the hole on the ground and drops the shovel. I shove my hands in the pockets of my jacket and give him a small smile.

"Looks like ayou had a lot of fun." I say sarcastically, grinning as he laughs.

"Definitely you should try it sometime," He says, nudging me with his elbow lightly. "About what I said earlier I just wanted to say I'm sorry I—"

"You don't have to apologize, it's alright." I say, shaking my head lightly, he smiles and takes a deep breath.

"Great! So I've been meaning to ask, are you doing anything tomorrow? I thought it'd be great if we could catch up." He says, running his hand through his hair.

I nod slowly and step back when some of the crew start fixing the hole behind Levi. "Other than coming here in the morning I have nothing. That sounds great, we can totally do something tomorrow." I say.

"Cool, then it's a—" he gets cut off again as two assistants walk up to him and start dragging him away hurriedly.

"You have an interview in a few minutes we need to get you ready." I hear one of them say, making me frown as Levi turns his head to look at me.

"Go, I'll be here." I mouth, forcing a smile as I take my hand out of my pocket to give him a small wave. He smiles apologetically and walks off to the hair and makeup trailer. I sigh when he's out of view and lean down to grab the shovel. I grab it and start walking to return it to the truck filled with props on the other side of the house. I swing the shovel in my hand slightly and purse my lips as I take my phone out and press call.

"Clara, you were right. Levi and I? Just friends."