• 9.2 •

The fact that no one had thought to mention the clear division between the hunters had clearly been either out of their mind or simply delighted by the idea of a fight. The training grounds, which had fallen into a recognizable rhythm since Liro's arrival, was split down the very centre.

Hunters who served the Queen populating one side, and those loyal to the King taking up the other.

It was ludicrous. The fact that a group of fully grown humans could be so obnoxious was beyond Liro. Though she was beginning to relate to their fragile sense of morality. It was disturbing, as she found her way to stand beside Kier.

"The Kings huntsmen," Liro mused. "I wonder what would have happened if he'd recruited me first."

"You'd be worse off than you are right now," Kier shot back.

"So what's the difference?"

Kier didn't look at her. "What?"

"There has to be a difference between their morals, or else we'd be one big happy family, with a murderous mother and father to preside over us." Liro snuck a glance at him from the corner of her eye. "So. What's the divide?"

"I don't think it's that simple." Kier fought to keep his voice even.

"No?" Liro's teeth were clenched tightly. "It must be simple, because had there been anything important to explain, I would have been told what I was getting into, wouldn't I?" She spun on him. "Or maybe it's because you think you're too high and mighty to share?"

There were hunters prowling along the invisible divide of the training grounds, looking the expanse up and down like there was a stone wall between them. Every muscle in Liro's body clenched tightly. Gods, they couldn't fight. Not now.

And she couldn't get involved. Not without fighting for the Queen. Not without making her side very clear. It was one thing to wish for the feeling of adrenaline coursing through her veins. It was entirely another to utilize her power, even unwittingly, in the name of the Queen.

Intention.

That's what controlled it. Her head was a mess, her heart beating erratically. How did she control her intentions? She wouldn't know what she wanted until it was happening.

"There are certain opinions that divide the King and Queen." He paused, his voice tight. "It is our job to enforce those opinions and act accordingly."

"What are these opinions?" Liro seethed.

"I don't have to share anything with --"

"Yes you do." She gripped his forearm firmly, her fingers like tiny claws in the leather of his attire.

He bent his head, his breath tickling her ear and neck as he whispered, "No. Not with a murderer."

Liro forced her body to go rigid. It was the only other options, besides stumbling backwards. Both gave Kier the answer he so desperately wanted. She felt the smirk transfer from his mouth to his eyes as he looked at her.

Her voice was deadpan. "You have no proof."

"Ah, but don't you think I would be able to get some?" Kier wrenched his arm out of her grip. "Twist the right arm, and you'll find that answers just come pouring forth." He stalked to the divide on the grounds, talking with his hands as he seemed to reason with all of them.

Twist the right arm.

What was he going to do? He could hardly accuse the Queen - the one that he served - of treachery. Oh, she would pay to see that.