• 17.1 •

Liro was tired and hungry by the time she walked into Olenna's kitchen. The usual buzz of servants collecting their rations in the morning had faded, and instead, there was a quiet lull as the staff moved about in their space. She stood at the doorway for a moment, observing all that had continued while her own life had taken on a rapid pace.

It was like time inside the palace had stilled. Nothing had changed.

Olenna looked up, her eyes widening slightly before returning to the task at hand. She offered Liro no more than a nod of approval as way of greeting. Liro stepped into the kitchen, eyes covering every surface before speaking.

"Did you miss me?" Liro asked, her voice carrying only a trace of teasing.

"That depends," Olenna replied, "did you do anything careless?"

Liro reached out and took a slice of bread, using the tiniest bit of butter to spread across it.

"I kept a wary eye," Liro said. "I didn't do anything Kier wouldn't do."

"You're giving yourself quite a wide berth with that one." Olenna turned to the fire and turned a wooden spoon clockwise in the pot. The cook couldn't keep the scoff from creeping into her voice.

Liro took a bite of her bread, chewing slowly as she continued to think. She came up with nothing, and swallowed her bread.

"Do you have anything to wash this down with?" Liro asked, gesturing to her breakfast.

Olenna gave her an exasperated stare. "You're not my charge anymore. Go bother Kier with your questions. He's supposed to be feeding you."

Liro smirked. "Kier might just kill me if he sees me again so soon."

"That's not exactly my problem, either."

Liro grinned, taking another bite of her breakfast.

Olenna handed her short cup of water, and Liro took tiny sips. She needed to make it last. Especially since she was keen to squeeze just a little bit more food out of Olenna before she left for the training grounds.

A smell coming from one of the three ovens burning made Liro straighten, and she pointed her finger in the direction of the middle one.

"Are those sausages?"

Olenna sighed. "Did you not eat while you were gone?"

"Not like this."

Olenna held up her forefinger. "You may take one. Do you hear me, girl? One."

Liro shoved the rest of her bread in her mouth and downed the rest of her water greedily. Her fingers burned as she lifted the sausage from the pan, but it was better than the vicious pain that was spreading throughout her stomach. Once it was cool enough to eat, she took quick, ravenous bites, wiping the grease on her hands into a discarded cloth.

Olenna placed her hands firmly on her hips, her eyes never leaving Liro's face.

"I think it's time you go to where you're supposed to be," she said calmly. "I wouldn't want Kier to think I'm poaching his huntsmen."

Liro grinned. "He'd only be sour because he knows you can."

Olenna tried not to show her amusement. "Out."

Liro found her way to the training grounds, her eyes searching for Kier as she stepped onto the grass. They had unfinished business, and Liro got the sense that he wasn't looking forward to discussing any of it with her.

That didn't particularly matter.

She would ask the questions, and he would answer.

Because her sisters were here. Because a third party had entered their mission of two. Because she needed him to be honest with her. She didn't know what she would do if he wasn't - she didn't have the energy to snoop and evade the Queen.