Chapter 10

Chapter 10

At last, the music store. Melissa visited every Monday and Wednesday. She often sat at a table on the main floor to work on homework. Mr. Eckhardt never minded her presence. A few students would come in, but they were always there for a quick trip.

"Melissa, how about you take a break and play a little bit?" Mr. Eckhardt watched Melissa stare blankly at her math homework.

Melissa nodded and stood up as she pushed her chair in. She cleaned up her school assignments and placed them into her backpack. "What would you like me to play?"

"Whatever you are able to." The man finished dusting off one of the display cases.

Melissa nodded and sat at the piano reserved for small performances. She pulled out her thick book of music she took everywhere. She opened up to something familiar, Mendelssohn's Venetian Boat Song. As she played, Mr. Eckhardt continued to clean up the shop. He occasionally would look up at his talented regular.

"Melissa, you should play here after school. I'll even pay you." He watched her finish her performance and gather her belongings, "You are already here so often."

Melissa shook her head, "No need for payment." She glanced at the clock, "You let me do my homework here, that's enough." She gave a slight smile and walked towards the door, "I'm actually going to the ice rink today for a class."

"Oh, so you ice skate?" Mr. Eckhardt raised an eyebrow, "My grandaughter does that out in California." He walked over to a shelf and started to shuffle through the books. "She's a lot like you."A small smile graced his lips at the thought.

...

Ren and Indie sprung onto Melissa as she walked through the skate shop doors. Mr. Stravinsky came from behind the counter tugging a familiar bag behind him. Melissa pushed her way out of the arms of her captors and smiled.

Mr. Stravinsky chuckled, "You're Mom dropped your bag off here." He passed the zuca bag over. "She said that she left some money in there for the ice time."

"Thank you so much!" Melissa beamed, "It really means a lot." She looked over at her two friends who were looming over her as she fixed her hair.

...

The bus jolted to a stop. Melissa stood up and pushed through the seats with her bulky bag. Indie continued to flap her jaws at a thousand words a minute. Everyone on the bus seemed happy to watch her get off the bus.

"Hey Melissa, you dropped something." She picked up a purple slip of paper from the ground. "Looks like a note from your mom."

Have fun with your friends. There's some stickers and coupons in your bag. Call if you need something. Cynthia is in her college class today. XOXO.

~ Mom

Melissa rolled her eyes, "Thanks." She pulled her bag behind her. At least her sister wasn't there to bother her. She looked down at the pavement. Her heart suddenly spiked, causing her ears to throb. Only if she were always this supportive.

The cold air blasted on the trio's faces. The sharp contrast made their skin sticky from the humidity. They all paused for a moment to readjust to the drastic climate change.

"Ms. Lefty and her crew made it." The receptionist leaned forward in his seat. His bulky staff jacket rustled as he moved. "What's your name again?"

"Melissa." Indie exasperated, "Cynth's younger sister."

Ren nodded as he paid for his ice time, "Yeah, she's just as good as her sister. Figure skating must run in the family."

"Shut up Stravinsky." Melissa's face heated up in embarrassment. She slapped a few dollar bills onto the counter and sloppily signed her name on the clipboard. Her face dipped downwards as she hurriedly paced her way to the restrooms to change.