Chapter 12

It was days like these that Melissa dreaded the most. She fanned herself with a folder as she dragged herself to the music room. It was piping hot and had to be the most humid day of the whole year. Ms. Oliverson waited out in the hallway with her arms crossed. She stood guard over her music room as if she were the security guard. Honestly, everyone was scared of her to some extent. Passing students would shuffle past while some dared to wave.

Indie and Ren were already in their seats. Melissa walked into the storage closet and got her clarinet before going to her seat at the head of her section. She opened her case and popped her reed into her mouth as she assembled her instrument. The wood clarinet seemed to take a beating from the heat as well. Melissa burned her thumb on the thumb rest. "Stupid Florida!" She grumbled and tucked her case away under her seat.

"You're music stand is in the way, hun." Ciera stood in front of Melissa and Indie's stand. "By the way, the rink is quite-" The bell rang, "Well, I guess I better get ready." She sat down to Melissa's left. She put her flute together and hummed as if nothing happened.

Ren was currently having a rosin war with his stand partner, which resulted in Indie tossing a piece of paper at his head. "What?"

"Really? Really?" Indie sighed and pushed her glasses up.

Ms. Oliverson walked in and took roll. She then tied her hair back and stepped on her podium. "I have a new piece that was just mailed in. The parts are going down the rows." She said watching her students pass the stacks of paper around. Once everyone had what they needed, she picked up her baton. "We'll start where we left off in the video game medley last class. Melissa, Indie, you'll play the cues."

Indie looked at Melissa with a confident smile. "We've got a duet." It was moments like these Melissa didn't mind missing an oboe or two. Everyone knew the flutes couldn't handle anything you gave them. All they did was talk about what happened the day before. Which by the way, everyone already knew about.

"Yeah, let's give it a shot!" Melissa smiled back as the room went silent. Everyone prepared to play. Yep, everyone but the strings are horribly out of tune. She winced. Ms. Oliverson never bothered to have everyone tune properly. For those who were lazy, this was great news!

"Guys, your balance is off." Ms. Oliverson looked down at her blank score. Not a single note had been written on the page. "Trumpets, I only have three of you. You need to be louder. Saxophones, stop burying the clarinets. Clarinets, you aren't together. Violins, Cellos, and basses good job for once." There was a crash from the back of the room. The woman didn't even bat an eye. She treated it like it never happened.

Avery, the principal Violist pushed her glasses up with her bow. "You forgot the violas again."

The whole class burst into an intense laughter. Well, everyone except the viola section. "Oh, well then you shouldn't blend in as much." Ms. Oliverson cleared her throat. "Hey! What are you two doing back there?" She suddenly shouted, "Get back to your your seat!"

Melissa was internally screaming at her director's poor habits. If it had been any other director, they would kick the player out. Ms. Oliverson was too kind. This was also the reason why nothing ever seemed to be completed.

"Guys, if we want to sound good at the winter concert, we need to pull our act together and work as a team." Isabelle, the head alto saxophone player, clapped her hands together.

Us? Sounding good? Ms. Oliverson better pull her act together. Melissa played through her part as the director made small talk with random students. This was annoying. Everything about her was annoying. Did she mean well? Maybe. However, Melissa's trust wasn't easily won over.