Chapter Ten

After Doxie left Annie took me on a midnight ride almost every night. We traversed the country sides, drinking from streams, watching the stars, or wandering through the forest. The peace and silence of the night was only ever broken by a barking fox, or the hiss of cicadas. These rides bonded me to Annie tighter than I ever was to Mom, until we were inseperable. I followed her around the field without a lead a rope, came running when she called me with a whistled rendition of the call to the post, and learned endless tricks. One nightly ride took us farther than ever before.

We rode for miles that night, alternating between walking and cantering. A bloated moon hung overhead, casting a pale glow on the forest that flanked us. I spooked at a quick, silent movement within the shadows by the trees. Annie laid a hand on my withers and twisted my mane in her fingers. Another movement, on the opposite side of me, drew my gaze that way and I spooked again. Annie spun me in a circle, and I saw two more shadows behind and in front of me. We were surrounded!

I lurched forward awkwardly, fighting to get out of the circle so I could run. The shadows formed a definite shape, ragged bodies low to the ground, supported by skinny legs, bones dangerously close to piercing their sunken flesh showing a long lasting starvation. Snarls and barks wove through the air, reaching my quivering ears. I had to run, get away! Annie tensed on my back. She saw them too. They crept closer, strings of drool sliding past their lips. One gave an especially ferocious growl and I burst forward, trampling one of them in my desperate need to escape. Annie slid to the side and I felt her falling, heard a sharp inhalation of pain as she hit the ground. I spun on my haunches and stood facing the oncoming beasts, Annie between my forelegs.

She dragged herself up using my withers, and somehow clambered onto my back from the ground. A coyote snapped at my leg and I kicked, hearing a dull thud as it connected. The creature gave a shriek of pain, and shook its head over and over as blood seeped into its eyes. I was thankful for my shoes. Finally, the mangy beast stumbled sideways and tried to rub its head with its foreleg, only to tumble down and twitch violently. Five more coyotes arrived to take its place and I spun around in a neat turn, galloping off at full speed. The open field we were galloping on was split down the middle by a white plastic fence, and there was no end to it in sight. I felt Annie stiffen as she saw it, then she gave my head and squeezed me. I galloped even faster, snorting with every breath. I'd never jumped before, but this was the key to our survival. She guided me to a section where the top two rails were broken, leaving a two foot jump. I heaved myself over it, jumping it awkwardly high and long, but we were clear.

She patted my neck. "Good girl, Whiskey! The mare of many talents strikes again!" Then she fell silent. I could still hear the coyotes behind us, sliding under the fence, growling, threatening, barking. I put on an extra turn of speed, desperate to be safe, to protect Annie.

A coop rose before us. Annie dropped into a two point, supporting herself with her knees. "It's a coop, Whiskey, just like the fence!"

This time she held me back, forced me into strides to keep us safe. I jumped it high again, arching my back awkwardly, but I was beginning to get the hang of it.

"Good girl!" Annie praised, rubbing my neck. I could only hear a few coyotes now. I galloped on. A ditch opened up, and again Annie checked my strides, half halting me strongly. I rocked back on my haunches, and rose in to the air.

'Mistake!' My mind screamed. I landed hard on the opposite side, but my hindquarters fell into the darkness, dragging me along. I screamed, scrambling for a hold. Annie screamed, grabbing at my mane before she tumbled off. I heard a coyote scream, summoning its pack for an easy kill. Then I fell. I landed hard on my haunches, the concussion to my back taking form in a sharp, hot, driving pain. I staggered to my feet, one goal in mind:

I had to find Annie.