Prologue

Brenda Smith was sitting on her doorstep with a baby in her arms when a large woman walked up the street in strange clothing. Armor, even. When she reached Brenda's small white house she stopped.

"Are you Brenda Smith?" she asked. Brenda nodded, holding her child closer to her chest. "My name is Marmodia. I am from the island of Amazons. We wish for you to join us there."

Brenda gasped. She had only heard of the Amazons from story books. She had only known them in dreams. But this woman before her was clearly from the hidden island.

"But my son," she cried, looking down at the light haired infant cradled in her arms. Marmodia sighed.

"You will leave the boy with your sister."

Brenda stands.

"How could I leave my child?" she asked, the lines on her forehead deepening. Her maternity dress swished as she started walking to her door. The Amazon made no sound.

"I wish I could but I cannot. He is my son," she told the large woman.

"I understand your fears. But your sister wishes for a son of her own. And the same blood flows through your veins."

Brenda puzzled over how the Amazon knew this about her sister. But after all the woman was right. And Brenda was large with another child. Seven months, to be exact. It was a girl, the doctor had told her. Her husband had left her with only divorce papers when he had found out about the second child.

"This will take a while to think over. I understand this. Take your time. I will know when you are ready."

With these words the Amazon vanishes. Brenda steps through the half open door and picks up the phone from its cradle. She dials her sister's number.