Chapter Five

I roll off my bed at four AM. I wipe the sleep from my eyes and stretch my arms high above my head. Silete stirs in her bed. 

"Cleoda?" she asks, sitting up. 

"Shhh. Go back to sleep," I tell her, pulling my long hair away from my face and tying it into a messy knot at the back of my head. I fill a basin with cold water and dip my dry hands into it. I splash water over my face.

"Cleo, what are you doing?" Sil's voice drifts across the room.

"I'm training, remember? With Tatybe." 

"Ah, right," she laughs. "I have morning brain."

I giggle.

 I run a comb through my long hair and whip it into a french braid. I pull on a short blue tunic and black leggings. Sil gets off her bed as I am eating a chunk of cheese with berries.

"Don't be late," she warns jokingly. I peek out of our shared sleeping quarters at the sun.

"I have time to spare. What are you doing today?" 

She pushes her dark messy hair out of her eyes.

"I couldn't tell you now. You know better than to ask me in the morning."

"You're more of a morning person than I am," I remind her. She smiles.

"I know. But you have something to look forward to. I don't."

I laugh. 

"Sure you do! We can go visit Marmodia and she can teach us some more fighting stuff!"

Silete gives me a look.

"What? At least I can run..."

She grabs a slice of cheese and shoves it in her mouth. 

"Go on. You'll be late." 

I fill a flask with water and toss it in a bag.

"Going!"

Noah's voice cuts through my conscience.

"Can you tutor me right now?" 

"No! I will tell you when I can. I'm busy.  I have to train."

"For what?  The race was like two days ago or something."

"No, one day. I am training for the next one."

"Seriously? Already?"

"Do you want  me to help you?" I snap, trotting down the long narrow steps. I squint out at the ocean, glistening in the rising sun. I hurry past Amazons getting prepared for the day. I wave to Marmodia as she steps out of her living quarters. She smiles and waves back.

"Going to see Tatybe?" she calls after me as I rush down the stairs.

"Yes!" I shout behind my shoulder as I get further away from her.

"Your mother is looking for you," she yells. I glower at the mention of Cyenice.

"She can keep looking, then." I hiss to myself. To Mar I say nothing. I slow my rapid steps down the path to turn and wave. She returns it again. 

I turn right past women training for war in the courtyard to a smaller area filled with ancient trees rising high above my head. In the distance Tatybe is standing beneath a large oak, large arms crossed over her chest. Her expression is unreadable. I slow my pace as I reach the edge of the wood. I take deep inhales, trying to catch my breath. I look up at the brilliant sun. four-fifty-three. I step into the woods. Tatybe raises one hand in greeting.