Chapter Eight

The wind picks up and fills our sails as our sturdy boat is tossed through the ocean waters. The lack of Noah's voice taunts my empty thoughts. 

I glance up at Mia, who is sitting in the crows nest. Her blonde hair whips around in the breeze. Her pale cheeks have started getting color in them. She looks down and smiles. 

Silete stares at me.

"Are you warming towards the girl?"

"Oh, Sil. And anyway, she's not really a girl. She's our age."

"She's a girl," Sil snaps defiantly. 

I raise my eyebrows and turn back to the wheel. Sil climbs up to join Mia in the nest.

I stare ahead at the waves. All around us. Ocean. Sea. Water. My heart beats louder.                    What was I thinking, jumping in a boat without telling Mother...or anyone? I know his address, but I don't know how to get to it. That's kind of important...isn't it?

What kind of insanity would cause me to jump in a boat and "rescue" my brother? He probably would've been fine. The...police-or whatever they are called-would've saved him. It would take months to find him, if  we even managed to find him in the first place. And taking an untrained girl along? I must be going crazy. 

And...if I do succeed in finding Noah, what do I expect to do with him? He can't exactly come to Themyscira, right?

A plan begins developing in my head. The caves on the Southern  side of the Island have been empty for...years. I could easily smuggle him food. It would be simple!

Doubt forces its way into my plan. What kind of life would that be? For him, for me? 

He would be forced to hide away, from all people excluding Sil and Mia and me. For a long time. At least until I figured out what happened to his family, and a way to return him.

And me. I would be forced to lie to everyone but two people for the rest of my life.

I finger the stone secured around my neck.

Noah's thoughts finally come flooding into my head. 

I'm scared.

The clearness of his thoughts saying this shocks me.

When will Cleo get here?

She's taking so long.

Stop. Everything will be fine. 

They don't stop. I drop the necklace with a gasp. My friends stare at me, concern clear in their eyes.

"I'm fine. Get back to work. The sea makes no exceptions."

Finding HomeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara