Hope

The bed sank and the drop of two heavy shoes-or boots followed. I rolled over, staring at the dark figure next to me. The smell of beer and cigarettes was faint but there in the air.

"What time is it?" I whispered.

"Three in the morning," Slade whispered back. He snapped on the lamp.

"Slade, you're going to wake her up." I warned.

"She's out like a light." He walked around the bed and leaned over the crib staring at her. "God she is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen."

I nodded. "You remind me every single day."

He walked back around to my side of the bed. And pulled his shirt over his head. "How was the night?"

I studied the tattoo half hidden by the top of his jeans and then looked up at him. "She was a little fussy but fine. How was the show?"

He undid his belt buckle and slipped out of his jeans. "Great. Just glad it's over. I need to shower." He leaned down and pressed his lip into mine, invading my space and I let him, kissing him back. I gripped his hair and groaned taken right into the moment.

He stopped kissing me. "Want to join me?"

I sighed dropping back on the pillow. "This is so messed up."

He was in the doorway of the bathroom-totally naked. Sexy as hell. And I was fighting with myself about going in there and letting him fuck me. My husband. It made me angry that it was such a hard thing to figure out.

"Just take a shower, Slade." I shouldn't have kissed him. But kissing him was normal. It was great and like breathing-something I had done for so long I couldn't imagine not kissing him.

The water kicked on. And I stared up at the ceiling until I couldn't stand it anymore and slid out of bed. I went into the bathroom and took a seat on the toilet. I had the full view from my throne. We had designed the shower with no doors and beautiful Italian tiles.

"You sure you don't want to join me?" He rubbed his hands across his chest working the water and soap into his skin. "I really need to bring over my shower shit."

"No you don't." I drew my legs up wrapping my arms around them. "Because that would give you a reason to never go back to your condo."

"That's not a bad thing." His hand slipped farther down and he kept his eyes on me.

I looked away. "This is all messed up."

"Yeah it is."

"Then why do you keep coming here almost every night?" He had his own place.

"I was thinking about it. And I think you're afraid to turn into your parents."

I stood up. He was busy washing his hair. "Oh please. You're not an alcoholic and I am not some cheating whore."

"No." He dropped his head back, letting the water remove the suds. "But your parents had a thing going and then it fell apart. I think you pushed me away before that could happen. Because you think it will."

I didn't say anything.

"But you should know me by now." He cut the water off and grabbed the towel off the hook. "I am all in. I'm not going anywhere."

"I know." I stood up.

"Then what's the problem?" He walked over taking me by the chin and kissed me. His wet lips pressed against mine. Once. Twice. And then again. My back hit the wall. Slade slid my underwear down and I kicked them off. He grabbed me up and pushed inside, moving faster and faster. I held on for the ride-literally.

"Remember back when we could make all the noise we wanted?" His mouth was against my ear. "I fucking miss that."

I groaned, and his hand pressed against my mouth stifling it.