Chapter Twenty-Three

Emerson hadn't known peace like this in a long time. Things had calmed down within the weeks that had followed the death of one of their Pack mates. His work had lessened and the atmosphere had calmed after the funeral. The Night Walker Pack was finally peaceful again.

   His eyes closed and he listened to the birds' chirp in the trees. He listened to the children playing. He listened to the wolves running through the woods. He let their tranquility and delight rush through him and take over.

   A hand pressed against his cheek. "Are you okay?"

   He opened his eyes and nodded to Madeline. "I'm fine. Great, actually."

   She smiled. She dropped her hand and returned to his side. Emerson pressed his lips to the top of her head. He stuffed his hands into his pockets as they resumed their walk around the Pack. It had been so long since he had been able to just breathe. It was nice.

   "How are the winter preparations coming along?" Madeline asked, tilting her head up at him.

   "I thought we took this walk to get away from work," He said, a smirk on forming on his lips.

   "Yeah, well-" Emerson cut her off by throwing her over his shoulder. He took off running with her clutching his wait, squealing.

   "Emerson!" She squealed.

   All he could do was laugh. As did the people around them.it was the first time in a very long time that he's behaved this way. It was like Emerson just twenty years old again.

   Emerson's feet carried him through the wood. He went over the rocks, around the bushes, avoided any predator that was lurking in the woods. Avoided any who dwelled. The Alpha wanted his Luna all to himself for the day. It had been far too long since they had alone time together. What with all the work they had been drowning lately. But now that the workload had gone back to its usual amount, they could finally have more than just seeing each other occasionally in bed.

   "Emerson! Put me down!" Madeline demanded.

   He smirked. "As you wish." And he threw her into a lake, clothes and all.

   Emerson had found the lake a while back, not too long after Abigail had died. He spent a lot of time there, thinking about what to do next. There were many times that he wanted to jump in and next come out. But something kept him from doing so, and now he knew why. Madeline was the reason.

   He quickly pulled off his shirt and shoes and socks. He threw his phone to the side, not wanting to get that wet. Then he ran and did a cannonball into the lake just as she surfaced the water.

   "You little shit!" She screeched when he reached the surface.

   She splashed water at him and he repeated the action. Soon enough, they were in an all-out splashing war.

   Emerson ducked under the water and swam to her. He resurfaced just in front of her and wrapped his arms around her.

   "Okay! Okay. You win." He nuzzled her neck and breathed deeply.

   Madeline leaned into his embrace and let out a sigh. He felt her body relax against his. His lips turned upwards into a smile. He ran his nose up the curve of her neck and over her jaw until his lips were pressed against his.

   He kissed his mate deeply, pulling her tight against him. One hand cradled her head, tangled in her hair. The other held her waist, flushing her up against him. He lifted her up and her legs wrapped around his waist in response. Their kiss deepened. He started to pick at her clothes. He wanted his mate.