Chapter Thirty

Emerson all but stumbled into his tent, blood leaking from his wounds. They'd taken hit after hit over the past three months. No matter how many of those bastards they managed to kill, more arrived in their place. Their numbers were starting to dwindle, and Emerson wasn't how much longer they could last before they finally broke.

   More than one of his wounds needed stitching, but the tent set up as an infirmary was already packed with wolves who needed more attention than he. Emerson would just have to patch himself up like he had done many times over the months they'd been there.

   He pulled out his first-aid kit from under his bed and opened it. He grabbed a needle, thread, bandages, and disinfectant. He started by cleaning his wounds and dousing the needle and thread in it as well. Then very carefully, he threaded the needle through his skin.

   It took longer than if a doctor had stitched him up, but that may have been because there were times the pain was too great, and he had to stop. He bandaged himself up and put away the supplies. He washed his hands clean in a bowl of water.

   Emerson pulled on some clean clothes and shoes, then stepped out of his tent. He joined the other Alphas in the central tent. He grabbed some of the food that had been laid out and a glass of water and took his seat. He chugged his water before beginning to eat.

   "How many casualties this time?"

   "Fifty."

   They shared a moment of silent, several Alphas rubbing their temples. They had taken too many hits, lost too many wolves. And while their force was dwindling, it appeared the Rogues hadn't suffered any major loss as they had.

   Lincoln was the first to speak, "This mess would have never had happened if Emerson hadn't let his father go. The Rogues wouldn't have their leader and I could be home with my mate and children, instead of being here, not knowing if I'm ever going to see them again."

   "You say that as if this whole thing is all my fault. I didn't make my father go crazy," Emerson countered, "I didn't make him do this. I didn't tell him to rally the Rouges and declare war with the North American Packs. I wish nothing more than him to be dead, so I can be with my mate without fearing for our lives."

   "And yet you did let him slip through your fingers," Reid leaned forward, bracing his forearms on the table. "He escaped your prison because you can't keep your guards loyal to you."

Emerson's jaw clenched. "They chose their fate and they have been dealt with."

Ronan spoke before any other Alpha had a chance to open their mouth. "You say that this whole war is Emerson's fault because his father escaped his cell? Well, what if he hadn't? what if Benjamin had been brought to justice and killed for treason? Do you think the Rogues would have just quietly gone away? No, they know what they can do. Without Benjamin, someone else would have taken his spot and we would still be here, fighting an underestimated enemy. So how about you stop throwing blame around and actually help make a plan to stop these dogs?"

"What would you have us do?" Weston exclaimed. "What? Because we have tried everything and yet they keep winning! In the last war, we were at least getting close by this time!"

"Yes, that was the last war. The Rogues have evolved and learned. They are smarter, faster, and stronger than they have ever been." Xavier slammed his fists on the table. "So of course, we haven't gotten anywhere! We've been using all our tactics and strategies from last time! we need to do something new, something they won't expect."

"And what exactly are you suggesting?" Sebastian asked, looking slightly intrigued and mostly annoyed.

"They're expecting us to attempt to flush them out. Find their camp and wipe them all out. They lay fake trails and lead us all different directions. So instead of trying to find them, let them come to us. we draw them out into the open, on our grounds, where we have the upper hand. The more wins we get the more frustrated they will get, and they will make mistakes, ones that won't go unnoticed. We will find them and end their threat once and for all."