Chapter Twenty-Nine

It had been three weeks since Emerson had left. Three terribly long weeks without her mate. Madeline tried to keep herself distracted by doing as much as her mate's responsibilities as she could, but distractions only went so far.

   She oversaw the training, though there was little she could critique, as she knew little about the complex training. She went through countless paperwork, reading, and signing. She heard the complaints of the Pack and did her best to come up with a fair and just solution. She helped direct the reconstruction of the buildings that had been destroyed in the explosions. She worked on organizing all the food they had stored for winter, taking a count of what they had and what they needed before the first snow fell. Everyone knew the danger of not being properly ready for winter to come.

   Then she also completed her tasks as a Luna. She spent time with the children in the daycare. She made sure that all the Pack members were well. She helped in the infirmary, helped the Pack, comforted the weeping women and children, who's loved ones had left.

   It was overwhelming, even with Liam, Emerson's Gama, helping her. He did his best to help her with her with her duties and tasks. Though as overwhelming as it all was, she couldn't keep her mate out of her head. She missed him so much, though they talked as often as they could. It worried her though when he went days without calling her. But when he finally did call her, he always told her why. Sometimes it almost caused her to have a heart attack and other times she was relieved that it was nothing too major.

   Madeline flushed the toilet, having thrown up for the third time just that day. She had been sick a week after Emerson's departure. It was just nausea at first but then she started throwing up every other day, then daily, and that.

   She figured it was because her mate was gone. She had seen her mother whenever her father had to go away for a few weeks as well as Natalie when Sebastian went away, though both never had it as bad as her. That could possibly be because they had chosen to mate each other, and therefore they were more afraid to lose each other as they had lost their previous mates.

   There was a knock at the door. "Madeline?" Casey. She had been glued to Madeline's hip ever since Emerson left, trying to help her as much as she could. She had also been there when she was sick, holding her hair back for her. "Can I come in?"

   "Yeah," Madeline croaked out. She grabbed her toothbrush and started to brush her teeth.

   Casey walked in and went to her side almost immediately. "You should really go to the infirmary. They might be able to get you something to help your stomach."

   She shook her head. "No, I don't have the time. there is so much that I have to do today that would send into cardiac rest."

   Her friend sent her a glare then pulled out her phone. She dialed a number. "Hey Liam, it's Casey. I just wanted to inform you that Madeline is taking the day off. All that work has taken a toll on her and she just needs a rest day." She hung up the phone a moment later.

   Madeline was glaring at her best friend. "I really hate you sometimes."

   "I love you too."

   She just shook her head and got up. She washed off her face with cold water and took deep breaths. She rinsed out her mouth with mouthwash.

   "Change your shirt then we're going to the infirmary. I'm not letting you suffer anymore even if you want too," Casey said.

   She helped Madeline out of the bathroom and out into the hallway. Guards trailed behind them as they walked down the stairs. Madeline walked slower, her stomach still upset. She didn't want to throw up all over the stairwell just because she was running down the stairs.