the chess board

There wasn't a moment of hesitation before Adrianna teleported to Stiles room, hoping to catch him before he vanished again. What she would actually do with him, she was uncertain.
As her boots landed on the light brown carpet, goosebumps arose across her skin at the sudden change in temperature. Her emerald eyes landed on the bed, where a soft indent in the blankets radiated warmth. Yet the room was empty.

Adrianna swore softly, her teeth grinding into one another and her fists clenching. She walked over to the bed and hovered her hand above the warm spot. She could smell the traces of the nogistune, like a rotting corpse, could feel the buzzing energy of his malice. Yet how did he disappear as quickly as she arrived? She spun in a small circle, ensuring she didn't miss anything lurking in the shadows.

She didn't.

Adrianna turned to the square window that overlooked the driveway. Dark storm clouds began to gather in the sky, bringing night on quicker than they wished. Her eyebrows knitted together as she tried to make sense of the nogistune's actions. Why would he appear here, at the exact place, yet disappear before even the fastest of them could arrive? Perhaps it was Stiles, breaking through if only for a moment. Yet again, why didn't he leave a clue? What was the significance of his room other than sadness of his loss.

Two cars screeched into the driveway, the smell of burnt tar suddenly filling her oversensitive nostrils and pulling her from the spiral of unanswered questions. Her eyes snapped down to them. One was a Sherriff's car and the other a black SUV with darkened windows. She could vividly hear the click of the doors opening, then slamming closed as fast and heavy footfalls raced into the house. Her teeth burrowed into her bottom lip, still slightly overwhelmed at what her senses could pick up now.

The moment the others spilled into the room, their breaths quick and their eyes frantic, she turned away from the window, from the darkening sky. "He's not here."

Chris stepped forwards, "What happened?"

Adrianna shrugged, "Nothing. He was gone before I arrived, quicker than me. His scent was all over the room though, fresh. It must've only been seconds."

Allison traced her fingertips lightly over some stacked books, her eyebrows furrowing. "That doesn't make sense. Why would he lure us here just to leave?"

Adrianna shrugged once more. She had already ran through every question there were thinking, and came up blank. "There has to be a reason for this. He waited long enough for the security cameras to be alerted."

Allison nodded in agreement, reflecting her cousins worry through their shared habit of chewing her bottom lip.

"What's all this?" Chris spoke up, his eyes concentrated upon something on Stiles desk.

Adrianne walked over to where he stood, the others following closely. They towered over a chess board, with the pieces placed meticulously around it topped with coloured sticky notes. "What're all these sticky notes for?" She questioned, randomly flicking the end of a one placed delicately atop the castle piece.

"This is what Stiles used to try explain to me about all of you." Stilinski explained.

"Well maybe it's a message from Stiles? The real Stiles" Allison wondered, leaning over the board to better analyse the placement of the pieces.

Adrianna picked up a pawn placed to the side, the sticky note read Isaac. Her eyebrows furrowed tightly, her fingers twirling the piece in a small circle.

"You think there's any reason my name's on the king?" Derek wondered.

Adrianna raised her eyes to the king placed closest to where Stilinski hovered, with unmarked pawns around it. She looked back to Isaac's piece, her mind whirling in a dangerous direction. She didn't think this was a message from Stiles, the real him wouldn't take Isaac off the board unless he was actually dead.

"Well, you're heavily guarded. Though I think the alarming detail is," Stilinski eyed Derek, "you're one move from being in checkmate."

Adrianna looked back to Derek's piece, then her own name caught her eye. It was a few paces across from Derek's, sitting right on the edge alone, and her name lay on the queen. "So why am I the queen? I'm not guarded."

Chris looked to her piece, "You're the most powerful." His eyebrows furrowed slightly, "And you're almost off the board."

Adrianna curled her fist around Isaac's piece, straightening her shoulders with an extreme irritation. "This isn't a message from Stiles-"

"It's a threat from the nogistune." Chris finished for her, eyeing her shaking hand as she slammed the pawn back down.

"He's at the loft, that's what he's trying to tell us." Allison concluded.

"And he wants us to come there." Chris explained.

"Night's falling." Derek commented.

"And this couldn't sound anymore like a trap."

Stilinski shook his head, "I don't think it is."

Chris cocked his head slightly, "I think your opinion's slightly biased Sherriff."

Stilinski shook his head again, "Hear me out. What we're dealing with here is basically someone who lacks motive. No rhyme, no reason. Right?"

"Meaning what?" Chris asked

"Our enemies not a killer, it's a trickster. The killing is just a by-product."

Derek raised his eyebrows slightly, "If you're trying to say it won't kill us, I'm not feeling too confident about that."

Stilinski pointedly looked to him, "It won't. It wants irony. It-It wants to play a trick. It wants a joke. All we need to do is come up with a new punch line." The corner of his lips turned up.

"The sun is setting Sherriff, what do you have in mind?"

****

Adrianna rested against the large metal wall a few steps down from the loft entrance, her fingers tapping restlessly against her thigh. Allison, Derek and Chris stood around her; listening to the Sherriff speak to the nogistune. She could feel it's hate, it's chaos. It was like a tornado of negative energy filling every gap and crevice of the peaceful loft.

She heard the click of Stilinski's metal handcuffs, the grinding of the lock falling into place. She pressed off the wall, turning her ear to the entrance.

There was a pause, a deathly silence that decided the next moments action.

"You're not my son."

A louder click of breaking metal sounded, following by the rattling of the now broken handcuffs upon pavement. It was time.

.

.

.

.
( e d i t e d )
i understand you are all confused on what creature Adrianna is and i promise it will be explained at the end of this book. Just a hint to keep in mind though is she isn't a typical "supernatural" creature, she is one i made up by throwing a few together.

-a