breaking control

"Maybe we need a little more time to get back to normal." Scott suggested to Stiles as he started to fiddle with the lock on his locker.

"Yeah, try not to forget we hit the reset button on a supernatural beacon for supernatural creatures. There's a pretty good chance things are never going back to normal." Stiles commented.

"Yeah." Scott agreed quietly, not really in the mood to argue with his best friend. They were all frustrated, confused and just wanted to get through the rest of the school year.

"Maybe normal just isn't for us." Adrianna muttered, she put her phone away and sighed. She couldn't get ahold of Derek, neither could Scott. She hoped he was just in a no-call area and not in deep trouble. Her head suddenly raised up, with a frown creasing her forehead, someone was about to loose it.
And her mind screamed Scott.
She slowly turned her head to Scott, who's breathing had quickened and his eyes were glowing red.
She instantly pushed herself off the locker, "Scott."

Scott looked up to her and the seriousness in her tone pulled Stiles away from the locker he still hadn't managed to open.

"Oh dude, you're eyes." Stiles commented the first thought that came through his mind.

"What about them?" Scott questioned, as if he didn't know what he was doing.

"They're glowing." Adrianna answered.

Scott looked around quickly, "You mean like right now?"

"Yes, right now." Stiles suddenly filled with panic and alarm. "Scott, stop. Stop it."

Scott felt what he was doing, felt himself loosing to the beast within. His breathing sped up. "I can't." He shielded his eyes with his hand. "I can't-- I can't control it."

"Why can't you control it? Scott you have to control it." Adrianna pressed, her concern rising. This wasn't good, not one bit. He can't loose control in the middle of the corridors. Disaster isn't even close to what would happen.

Stiles let out a panicked breath and looked around. "Alright, keep you're head down. Look down, come on." Stiles pushed Scotts head down and grabbed his shoulders, steering him away from the crowd to wherever the hell they could go so they could control this.

Adrianna manoeuvred her way through the confused people and pushed open an empty classroom door. She walked inside, hearing Stiles squeaky shoes and Scotts heavy breathing follow.

Scott was already tearing his bag and jacket off once they were inside and chucking it to the ground. His breathing had increased to struggled groans and low growls were escaping his lips. He was hot, too hot and he felt enclosed. "No, no. Get back, get away from me." He panted out as they tried to approach him.

"Scott, it's okay." Stiles insisted.

"I don't know what's going to happen. Get back!" He made his way down the aisle of seats, leaning against the desks for support as his mind spiralled and his beast screamed to be let out.

Adrianna didn't know what to do, she didn't know how to help. Scott was the one with control, he was the one with the skills and the brillance to be a true alpha and still be human. And he was breaking in front of her. That shield of will power and control was crumbling like a building caught in a tornado.

Scott looked down at his hands as his claws extended. He could do this, he knew he could control this. He wasn't a beast, a predator, he was a wolf that had the extraordinary ability to save lives, to save his friends in ways no one else can. He wasn't a monster.

He pushed his shaking hands into fists, screaming as his claws tore though his skin and blood poured from his palms. He held his arms up and out on either side, pushing through the agony of his self inflicted wounds.

Adrianna's face filled with worry and her eyes met Stiles'. This isn't exactly how she imagined this playing out, she was actually confused on what he was doing, why he was doing it.

Scott sunk to one knee, then the other before collapsing against a chair. His breathing had slowed and his raging emotions seemed to focus on the physical pain and settle themselves.

Adrianna nodded to Stiles and they dropped their own bags, walking towards their suffering friend.

Scott yelled, forcing his fist open to his bloody palms. He sighed, sweat covering his forehead. He did it, he pulled it in.
But it still didn't make it okay, it still didn't explain why that happened.

Stiles and Adrianna lowered themselves to their knees to look into his non-glowing eyes.

Scott looked up at them slightly, "Pain makes you human." He explained.

Stiles internally sighed. "Scott, this isn't just in our heads. This is real." He almost didn't want to say the rest of his sentence but he could no longer hide his nightmares. "And it's starting to get bad for me too. I'm not just having nightmares, I'm having dreams where I have to literally scream myself awake. And sometimes I'm not even sure if I'm ever actually waking up. "

"What do you mean?" Scott asked in a fearful tone. He knew of Stiles' nightmares but he had concluded that's all they were, his mind getting over the horror they faced a month ago.

Stiles looked down, "You know how you can tell if you're dreaming?" He looked back up at them. "You can't read in dreams. More and more the last few days I've been having trouble reading. It's like I can't see the words, I can't put the letters in order."

Adrianna frowned, feeling something bubble inside of Stiles chest. "Even now?"

Stiles looked up. He stood so he could see the board where the previous teacher had written the class notes down. His head shook ever so slightly, his breathing quickening as confusion and panic and concern raised within him. "I can't read a thing."

.

.

.

.

( edited )