How to Title Your Book

1. You don't have to Worry About the Title at the Beginning of the Writing Process. You can take time on the title so don't force yourself to think up a title right before you start actually writing.

2. Look for Key Words in the Book

*in my book,  SPIES REBORN, I have the word SPIES mentioned a lot because my characters are all spies. So that word is now apart of my book title. 

3. Take the Key Words and Turn Them into Titles

* For my book NOT JUST SECRETS, I have a lot of death, secrets, and destruction. I had made a list of all the possible titles. 

4. Eliminate any misleading titles

*If I see a book with BLOOD in the title, I usually think it's about Vampires or Zombies. I had no idea it was really about spies or someone getting their heart broken.

5. Take the Rest of the Titles and Google Them.

*eliminate any titles that are similar to others. If one of your titles is Fire Catching, guess what's going to end up popping up everyone types that in? 

*I'll give you a hint. they won't be finding your book. They'll just find Catching Fire, from the Hunger Games.

6. Tie Breakers

*Choose your favorite.

*if your indecisive like myself, have someone else choose for you

*Or have several people, (friends, social media etc)  vote on which one they like the best.

That is what I did with my book NOT JUST SECRETS.

7. Books in a Series

*If it's a stand-alone, all you need is a title and you are done.

* if you have a series, you need to be a little more careful about titles.

*most books in a series either rhyme or have the same formula.  (Divergent Series for Example.)

8. Titling the Book Series

*Named after the first book (Hunger Games series as an example.)

*rhymes with the titles of the other books  (Divergent Series) 

* has the same formula