Chapter 22: The Truth Revealed

Harry was suddenly enveloped in a bone-crushing hug. Unsure what was going on, he stood extremely still. Alexander tensed up at this.
"Harry, dearest, you're here! I can't believe it. It's been so long..."
"Aunt Bella..." tried Draco.
"I thought I would never see you again!" Narcissa came over and gently pulled on Bella's shoulder.
"Sister, perhaps now is not the best time?" Bella pulled away from Harry.
"Of course, forgive me." She turned to look at Harry. "My dearest, please forgive me. I will explain everything to you after dinner. I cannot begin to describe the joy I feel at seeing you. May I sit with you at dinner?" Draco, who was standing behind his aunt, nodded at Harry.
"Er, yes, I suppose so." Bella beamed at him. Harry was struck by how beautiful she looked. She had long, straight, dark brown that fell down to her waist. She was wearing dress robes over an elegant evening gown. Her large eyes were a bright blue. She was tanned, but not ridiculously so. She was almost the exact opposite of her sister who was short and pale. Harry felt she was someone he could trust. He didn't know why he felt this, he just did. He looked down at her side and saw a girl who looked about his age, she looked just like her mother except for the eyes. They were a deep violet. Lucius cleared his throat and everyone looked to him.
"Shall we?" He gestured to the table.
"But of course, forgive me, Lucius," said Bella. Lucius inclined his head to her. He took his place at the head of the table and motioned for everyone to sit. Dinner was relatively quiet. Bella asked Harry whispered questions about school, his friends, growing up (Harry tried his best to avoid those questions), and about his first trip to Diagon Alley.
Harry noticed how she hung on every word. He didn't understand what was going on. Was Bella a friend of his parents? Is that how she knew him? Harry's mind traveled back to the conversation he had overheard at the Hog's Head. Could it be that she was so excited to see him because he was...'NO', Harry told himself firmly. He didn't have a family, and hoping for one could only end in grief. After dinner, Bella stopped Harry at the door.
"May I speak with you alone, Harry?"
"Of course." Harry followed Bella out of the dining hall and down the hallway in the opposite direction of the Malfoy family. They entered a very feminine room. It was all done up in pinks and purples.
"This is my sister's sitting room. She is partial to such colors. It makes me question her taste. But, after all this is her home. Now, come here, let me look at you." Harry did as he was told. "Well, you have grown well. You look dashing in your dress robes." She sighed. "If I only knew how to remove the spell."
"What spell?" Bella patted the chair next to her. "Harry, you had best sit down. I have some...shocking news to impart." He did so, then looked up at Bella, his heart pounding. "To answer your question, the spell I refer to is the spell that alters your appearance. It was cast upon you by the wizard who stole you from your rightful parents. Only my husband knew how to remove the spell. I can, however, give you a quick glimpse of your real form, if you'd like. I think it will help with the rest of the information I need to tell you."
"Will it hurt?"
"No, not at all. My sister has a mirror that reveals a person's true form despite any disguises or concealments. Back during the war, she kept it on the ceiling of the foyer to detect any disguised enemies. It was very useful as I'm sure you can imagine. However, for this evening, she took it out of storage. It is sitting there." Harry looked at the corner Bella pointed to. He could see an ornately framed mirror. He turned back to Bella.
"Not that I don't trust you Mrs...." He trailed off, realizing he did not know her surname. Bella sighed.
"Riddle."
"Mrs. Riddle. But would you please stand before the mirror with me?"
"Of course, Harry. There is nothing wrong with caution." They stood, and Harry followed her over to the mirror. She stepped before it first, and as soon as Harry saw she was unharmed and unchanged, he closed his eyes and did the same. Harry took a deep breath, opened his eyes, and gasped. He looked nothing like himself.
The reflection in the mirror was several inches taller. He reached Bella's chin, whereas the real Harry didn't quite reach her shoulder. The reflection had chin length, pin straight, perfectly parted hair the exact same dark brown that Bella's was. The reflection did not have glasses and did not have green eyes. It's eyes were a very light hazel with flecks of gold and even a bit of purple.
"You have your father's eyes, Harry."
"Really? You knew my father?"
"Mm hmm. Now, have you had a good look?" There is still much more to discus." Harry gave his reflection another long look then followed Bella back to the chairs.
"Why can't anyone else remove the spell?"
"Well, the wizard who cast it is the same wizard who stole you, as I said. He insured that only himself and my husband can remove the spell."
"That doesn't make sense. Why would he do that?"
"Well, we only have theories, really. However, we believe it was to ensure that my husband was the one to rescue you. We would, of course want to ensure we had found the correct child. The wizard who took you was and is very powerful. The only wizard ever to oppose him was my husband, and so, he wanted him dead."
"Why would you and your husband want to rescue me?" asked Harry in a whisper. Bella looked straight into his eyes as she answered.
"We wanted to save our son."
"I'm sorry, say that again?"
"You are our son, Harry. My son." Harry shot out of his chair, and Bella stood also, afraid that Harry would run out of the room, away from her. "I know it's a lot to take in Harry..." He suddenly threw his arms around Bella in a hug. Bella embraced him as well, crying tears of joy. When Harry pulled away from her he saw that she was crying.
"Why are you crying?"
"Well, I am extremely happy you have accepted this information, but I wish your father were here."
"Where is he? I would like to meet him." Harry watched as her face fell.
"We don't know, dear. He vanished the day he went to rescue you."
"You mean he died?"
"No, as his bonded partner, I would have been able to tell if he died. He is not dead, but I do not know where he is. I can feel that he is getting stronger again. He was so weak for so long. I attempted to find him so many times...But that is a story for another day." Harry stared at her.
"Why did you never come find me?" he asked, with tears in his eyes.
"We tried, dearest, we really did. You were taken from us about a year after you were born and given to the Potters. They had been hidden by a spell called the Fidelius Charm, which magically hides a secret inside a person. The information is hidden inside the chosen person, or Secret-Keeper, and is impossible to find — unless the Secret-Keeper chooses to divulge it. As long as the Secret-Keeper refused to speak, we could have searched the village where you were held for years and never found you, not even if we had our noses pressed against the sitting room window. Lucky for us, the Secret-Keeper decided to join our side and told us where you were. However, when your father went to find you, the Potters called the evil wizard to them and he nearly killed your father. When you were left with the muggles, he placed charms and enchantments around that house so that no one would ever be able to find you there."
"Why didn't he just kill me?"
"We don't know, but I'm very happy he did not. When Draco found you, I had hoped to finally see you again, but you were whisked away." Harry sat there for a moment, thoughtful, until something occurred to him.
"Mrs. Malfoy is your sister." Bella smiled.
"Yes, she is."
"So she is my aunt."
"Indeed."
"So, Draco is my cousin?" Bella nodded. "He knows, right?" She nodded again. "Can I go talk to him?"
"Yes, we can both go. I would like to talk to Cissy and share my news. But first there is something else you need to know. The little girl that was with me. She is your younger sister." Harry was floored with this information.
"I have a sister?" He asked with a grin, although it soon faltered. "But that means that Flea isn't actually my brother....." Bella brushed her hand against his cheek.
"I am sorry my dear. I will talk with him later, alright?" She asked. Harry nodded. He followed Bella back the way they had come and down several hallways, finally stopping at the door to the sitting room. As they walked in, Draco stood and looked from one to the other; unsure of what exactly had been discussed. As did Violet. Alexander was sitting quietly looking at his hands.
"Draco," said Harry, "Is that any way to greet your cousin?" Draco rushed forward to hug Harry, beaming. Harry went to hug Violet next, who looked ready to cry.
"I'm so glad you accepted it! It's been hell not being allowed to tell you. Now we can both hate Dumbledore." Harry looked at Draco. Although he was pretty sure he knew what Draco was referring to, he decided to play dumb. He wanted to hear the truth be spoken.
"Draco, I'm upset that he tried to keep me from coming but I don't hate him for it." Draco looked to his aunt.
"You didn't tell him, Aunt Bella? Don't you think Harry deserves to know that too?"
"Draco, hush!" admonished Narcissa.
"No, Cissy, I think Draco is right."
"Mum, what's going on?" Everyone's heads snapped to Harry, and Bella beamed at him before answering.
"It was Dumbledore who stole you." Harry nodded. He had been correct in his inference.
"Why?"
"We aren't positive, son."
"So that's the real reason he didn't want me to visit, isn't it? Because he knew you'd tell me?"
"Yes, most likely, dear. But Harry, you must understand, you may be in grave danger if he learns that you have been told the truth. We don't know what he would do to you if he knew that you were aware of his treachery. To anyone you do not trust with your life, you must pretend to still be Harry Potter. I will instruct you in Occlumency while you are here. It is a way to keep your mind closed against intruders. Once you return to school, I will ask Severus to continue your training. If you continue to act as though you are unaware, we may be able to learn of his plans."
"Ok, mum. I understand." Harry yawned, no longer able to properly conceal how tired he was.
"I think it's time for bed. We're visiting Diagon Alley tomorrow to do some last minute Christmas shopping," said Bella. Draco and Harry both stood.
"I'll show Harry to his room. Good-night, Mum, Dad, Aunt Bella. Lettie. Flea."
"Good-night, Mum, Goodnight Lettie. Goodnight Flea. Goodnight Mr. and Mrs. Malfoy."
"Now, none of that, dear. You are family, after all. It's Aunt Cissy and Uncle Luke."
"Ok, Good-night Aunt Cissy, Uncle Luke, Mum." A chorus of 'Good-night dears' followed them out of the room. Draco led Harry to the entry hall, up the main stairs and down the hallway. He stopped at Harry's door.
"I told my parents Mia read about Flamel somewhere and is going crazy not able to find him. He studied alchemy and, apparently, he is the creator of the Sorcerer's Stone, whatever that is. We should probably send Mia an owl tomorrow. I'm sure she'd understand more than us. Oh, my bedroom is the next one down if you need anything. I'll see you in the morning, Cousin." He smiled at Harry.
"Ok, good work, Cousin." They laughed and Harry entered his bedroom. He changed into his pajamas and crawled into bed. He fell asleep almost instantly, dreaming about his new-found family.

Alexander Interlude:

Alexander sat quietly staring at his hands throughout the evening. He had heard the Malfoys talking with Harry and Mrs. Riddle and her daughter. He couldn't believe it, but he knew that it all made sense. Dumbledore was at fault. It was because of Dumbledore that he was disowned by his parents. They did that so that they could take Harry. He nearly jumped out of his skin when Mrs. Riddle gently touched his shoulder. "May I have a word with you Alexander?" She asked softly. Alexander gulped and nodded, following after her. The two entered a small sitting room and sat down. It was a moment before he spoke.
"Harry's not really my brother is he?" He asked, his voice low. Mrs. Riddle sighed.
"I am so sorry Alexander...." she said, looking up at him. Alexander searched her face, and knew that she was telling the truth.
"Why would Dumbledore lie to my family like that?" He asked, blinking tears from his eyes.
"I do not know Alexander...." she replied, standing up and sitting next to him.
"He knew...that all I wanted was a family of my own.... and now I don't even have that....." He said. He winced a bit when Mrs. Riddle pulled him into a soft hug, but he didn't pull away.
"I want you to know this Alexander, that if my husband knew that Lily and James had a child of their own he would have never killed them." She said. Alexander nodded.
"If they hadn't taken your son they wouldn't be dead. They knew what they were doing. They were in on Dumbledore's plan all along." He said, clenching his fists. Mrs. Riddle looked confused.
"What do you mean?" She asked.
"Shortly after my first birthday, Dumbledore came to my house. According to what my grandfather told Augusta Longbottom, he told them that in order to take part in his plan to defeat Voldemort they had to disown me. I wouldn't be their son anymore." Mrs. Riddle gasped at this, but Alexander continued. "My grandfather was shocked. He took me from my parents and left me with my godparents because he overheard my mom and Dad talking about abandoning me at an orphanage. This was less than a week before July 31st."
"The day Harry was born." Mrs. Riddle said, beginning to understand.
"I don't blame your husband for killing them. As a matter of fact, I'm glad he did. The world is a better place without them." He said bitterly. Mrs. Riddle sighed.
"Well I just want you to know, that I'm thankful for you looking after my son. And that you'll always have a family with us." She said. Alexander looked at her and nodded.
"Thank you Mrs. Riddle." He said as he stood up and headed to bed. On his way out of the room he nearly ran into Mrs. Riddle's daughter. "Oh, I'm sorry. You're Violet, right?" He asked softly. Violet smiled shyly and nodded.
"Yes." She said softly. "And you're Alexander." Alexander suddenly felt a little better.
"Well, I better head to bed. Goodnight Violet."
"Goodnight Alexander."