Chapter Three - Deal

Aysel's scream shook the still morning air, echoing through the trees, sending birds leaping out of branches and into the sky. Above her was the monster she had come to seek, though more terrible than she could have ever imagined.

Its face was harsh and hard as if it was carved out of rock, with a horrible, protruding jaw and broad nose that was just as much a muzzle. Its hair, choppily cut, ran down the back of its neck like an animal's, forming a rough mane around its head that disappeared into the hide shirt it wore. Its neck curved weirdly down towards her, bending so unnaturally that her stomach leapt and begged her to run. The worst, though, were its eyes. They were a pale, grayish yellow color with no depth or dimension, as if the iris had been painted on. The Beast's eyes looked dead, soulless, monstrous. There was no light inside them.

Aysel tried to twist away, but her wrists and ankles were bound to the board on which she lay. All she could do was scream. And scream. And scream.

"Stop it!" the Beast snapped. When it spoke she could see the thick, jagged teeth lining its mouth. "Stars, I knew you things were dangerous, but no one ever said how annoying you are." It rolled its hideous eyes in exasperation, twisting the familiar gesture into something sinister with its grotesqueness. "This is the thanks I get for trying to give you some dignity," it grumbled as it fiddled with her bonds.

"Hm?" Aysel asked as best she could through the cloth stuffed in her mouth.

"Didn't you hear me? You can either walk or be dragged. I figured even a Letter would want some pride, but maybe not..."

Aysel's heart leapt at the thought of no longer being splayed out, and she nodded vigorously.

"Thought so," the Beast said. With one unnaturally fluid motion, it leaned down and pulled Aysel up by her arms, which it had bound tightly to her sides. Her feet were loosely connected by length of thick hide, enough that she couldn't walk easily but could still teeter forward. She tried hesitantly taking a few steps, but the Beast's hand on her shoulder stopped her. "If you try anything, you'll pay for it," it warned her. "Which reminds me..." It looped another piece of hide around Aysel's head and tightened it uncomfortably around her neck. "Even Letters can be choked to death."

Aysel glared at the Beast, trying to convey all the hatred she felt in her eyes. It cooly stared back. Aysel let her eyes drop.

"Thought so. Now walk." It pushed Aysel forward, keeping a tight grip on its leash. She stumbled on loose rocks, the hide wrapping around her legs. The Beast had no such problems; as it stepped easily across the uneven path, Aysel could see that its feet were bare and calloused, splayed out wide against the ground, almost like an open hand. She shuddered and tried her best not to look at the abomination leading her.

If she could speak, she would have asked where the Beast was taking her. It had mentioned a village, but as far as she could see was nothing but cliff sides and scraggly pine trees clinging to rock. They were deep in the mountains now; even the snow that fell here was sparse and dry. It swirled eerily around her feet as she was marched towards what looked like the remnants of a rockslide beneath an overhang.

"Hmm mm?" Aysel grunted questioningly.

"This? This is our door," the Beast replied, and pushed Aysel a few steps forward. "Look up."

Aysel obeyed. On the bottom side of the overhanging cliff was a small, dark hole, half buried by the rocks leading up to it. It was at least three times her height off the ground and cleverly disguised to blend into the natural rock. If she hadn't been told where it was, she would have missed it.

"Don't worry, I'm not going to make you climb. Everyone knows that Letters are just as bad at climbing as they are good at bleeding." It wrinkled its nose, closed its eyes as if it was bracing itself, and said, "So I'll carry you."