Chapter Four - Reader

Aysel raised her face to the sky. It was so good to be in the sun again... even though she also happened to be in the company of two very large, very disagreeable Beasts.

"What took you so long?" Dunyasha grumbled as Enrick came leaping out of the entrance to the Beasts' mountain lair. It landed easily, jumping from rock to teetering rock to break his fall until both bare, clutching feet rested on the ground. Aysel watched with a mix of incredulity and fear; although the way these things seemed to defy gravity was impressive, it was also a bit disturbing, like watching a spider skitter down a branch. "We've been waiting out here in the cold for you, so you could... pamper yourself, apparently," Dunyasha concluded, crossing its arms.

"What's wrong with a little pampering?" Enrick sauntered towards them. It was wearing a silky, floor-sweeping fur coat, complete with shining metal clasps at the neck, wrists, and down the chest. It was similar to the one Dunyasha had forced on Aysel ("so you don't freeze and cause me even more trouble") but much, much fancier. It snuggled its face into the collar. "I think you'll agree the wait was worth it."

Aysel could feel Dunyasha bristling with anger beside her and wondered for a moment if it was going to leap at Enrick and throttle it. But instead it closed its eyes and calmly replied, "Of course. So. South?"

"Not quite. I need to pick up something from Beyrn first."

"Beyrn?" Aysel asked.

Dunyasha groaned. "It's a settlement two days west of here, and very inconvenient. Why do we have to go there?"

"Reasons," Enrick said cryptically. "So Ay-whatever your name is--"

"Aysel," she and Dunyasha said at the same time.

"Yeah, that," Enrick said, waving a hand at them. "There's not much for you to do in these mountains, except maybe get killed, so your job is to not do that, and also to stay out of our way. Can you do that?" it asked as if it was speaking to a very stupid child.

"Yes," she said, annoyed at Enrick's derogatory tone. A flicker of inspiration lit her mind. "Of course, I could do that much better if I wasn't tied up, and had some way to defend myself," she said, gently tugging at the rope still around her neck.

Enrick looked at Dunyasha, then shrugged. "Eh, why not? It's not like it's dumb enough to try anything." It walked up to Aysel and, with its bare hands, ripped apart the braided hide rope as if it was a blade of grass. "Right?" it asked her quietly, looking down at her from under heavy eyelids.

Aysel, whose own eyes were wide at this frightening display of strength, whispered, "Yes."

"Good. Now, Dunya, give it back its knife."

Dunyasha raised one thick eyebrow. "Is that wise?" it asked warily.

"Is it your place to question me?" it asked, mirroring Dunyasha's tone.

Dunyasha's jaw tightened, but it pulled Aysel's blade out of the bag and tossed it to her anyway.

Aysel, who had caught it easily, clutched it to her chest. It was still in its sheath, and when she pulled it out, there were no smudges or stains from the Beasts putting their disgusting hands all over it. She sheathed it again and looped its cord around her neck, running her fingers lightly over the stamped leather. Even wrapped in the thick fur the Beast had put her in, she felt a bit more like herself.

Enrick nodded. "What a sweet reunion. Now come on! The sooner we walk the sooner we can rest, which is good because I'm exhausted already." It marched off.

Dunyasha sighed and followed. "Lazy idiot. I hope whatever we're supposed to be doing isn't important, because there's a good chance he'll get us killed before we manage to do it."