Four

She thought back to the day when her mother had called to her and said she had a visitor. This was only a day after Winston had confessed his liking of her. She remembered the way he held himself up straight outside her door on her porch. His thin pink lips pulled into a smile. His arms hidden behind his back.

"What is it you want Winston?" She could remember how her words seemed harsh. The way his smile fell a little at each word. The light in his eyes dimmed only to become bright again as he brushed off her un-characterful demeanor. "I just came by to give you these," handing bright colored flowers to her he continued, "and to say I'm sorry if I did anything to hurt you're feelings yesterday," The way his words seemed so sincere, but then she saw them. His friend, his gang if you will, walk across the street towards them. She remembered the feelings. She remembered how her heart ached a little. It ached for something she thought she could have, but was denied. "You almost had me fooled Winston Smith. For a moment there you actually got me to believe you. I almost thought for a second that maybe, just maybe you actually liked me." Before they could make a mockery of her, she slammed the white wooden door in his face; flowers still in hand. Suzie was so appalled at herself. How could she have fallen so easily for that?

Ever since that day Suzie had gotten up a 5pm, the exact time Winston had cam over and made her feel like a fool. Suzie walked down the gravel road that lead to the river. The river where Winston had told her she was goddess-like. Where he had told her he liked her. She could remember where they sat, next to the old dead tree.

Crawling into the depths of the tree she cried. She cried for what seemed like forever. She was interrupted when something fluttered past her ear. Looking up she was struck with the most wondrous view. The inside of the tree was like the stars in the sky. Only these stars seemed to flutter and move. She watched as one fluttered towards her and landed on her arm. It was a butterfly.