Of Monsters and Men

A young army medic finds new purpose on the frontlines after a life spent passively spectating.

The contract had seemed so appealing at the time: To be a medic in the army, for impressive pay, while my peers were drafted into certain death without option of bail. My family had been delighted, especially my sister. I could see my Naira's face now, she was giggling, her black hair heavy with scented crystals in the latest fashion. Her lovely eyes were violet this week, it sounds sadder than it is but I've forgotten what colour they were originally.

"What an adventure it will be! A vacation! Take lots of pictures for me."

"Adventure is for the restless. I happen to be content as I am."

"Pshhht. Nonsense. You'll be like a travel blogger."

"Or a sacrificial lamb."

"How exotic."

I rolled my eyes. She was trying to lift my spirits but I was having trouble being as excited as the rest of them. I was somewhat apathetic about the whole thing. Sounds cruel when thousands are dying at the front every minute, but I've never been empathetic. I still remember the perky patriotic clips calling men and women everywhere to action.

The endings of things can be sad,  beginnings daunting, but everything inbetween...that is where we can make the difference. Help us make a difference. For humanity!

"If you get my corpse sent to you in a box, I want you to dress it in my finest and send it to Yaun." I had been crushing on Yaun since highschool, after watching her star in a musical. Now we were 26 and she was somewhat famous and I'd never told her but it was kind of a running joke between siblings.

Naira snorted rudely.

"Yaunzu never liked you, that won't change when you're dead."

I clasped my chest in mock agony.

"There. You've killed me. Saved those abominations the trouble." Now it was her turn to roll her eyes.

"Most people look awful when they die; but for you, it might actually be an improvement."

"Thanks. You have such a way with words, I see why Topaz wants you." She averted her eyes and I realized I had said 'wants' instead of 'loves'.  It wasn't untrue, her rich fiance did want her as his wife, but as Kato liked to say, he was just the highest bidder, and she was his prize. But then again, Kato was jealous and poor. But then again again, Kato for his rough ways and unpolished mannerisms realised my sister was more than a collectible. She sniffed, drawing my attention back to reality.

"Get over yourself, Luca. We're all in our own hells, but yours will be in paradise." It was true. I'd heard Ghaust was a lovely place. The planet was 3 times the size of Earth and apparently heavenly on every side.

 Guilty, I had swallowed my self pity and agreed to go. She was crying when I left, and I suspected it wasn't for me.

"Come home, Luca. Come home in time for my birthday." I knew she didn't mean her real one. As soon as she married Topaz, her birthday would be legally changed to the date of their wedding, which was only in a couple of months. You wouldn't know it from the way Topaz acted, coming over frequently to 'claim what was his'. Her real birthday had already passed. And now I was about to board a medcruiser that would dock inside a larger cargoship in a warfleet that would travel lightyears in a matter of months. She had kissed me on the cheek, slipping something into my pocket as we embraced. A fragrant gem, from her hair. Her lipstick left a smear on my cheek, I noticed the reflection in the glassy windows of the medcruiser. It looked like a bruise.