The Altruist

I have never left this room. Outside dogs bark and birds sing and grass sways in the wind. But in here monitors beep and tubes tangle and drips do their thing. I am the last natural human. They call me Adam. They keep me buried below ground.
They harvest my blood. Soon, they say, the blood of my clones will be reliable enough for them to set me free. They've told me this all my life. How can one man be the life of an entire civilization, and yet have no life of his own? They have given me anything a person could ask for, to the best of their ability. I am ageless and immortal. I do not have to work, or stress, or even think about anything. Any entertainment that can be done from a bed, I have. This includes the finest and most state of the art virtual reality technology. This is how I learnt everything I know, from pretending to experience life. Am I even alive? Or merely not dying for the sake of others? My heartbeat is not my own. I am as alive as a cow, which exists only to be used. Except cows have more freedom than me. They are free to graze. I have never left this bed.
Well, today is the day that changes. I am going somewhere no one else can go. For you see, They have no souls. But I do, I think. There's only one-way to find out. Today I pull the plug. Today I finally go beyond this bed. Today, I explore the stars. Is it sad that I can only feel alive when my heart stops beating? I don't know. I don't know much. I don't.