The Twins

221 Baker Street was silent and peaceful- it had been a long day for the family of four and all were soundly tucked in to bed. Even baby Victor hadn't fussed about bed time despite being an active twelve month old. A rare blessing. Sherlock remarked to himself, curling up closer to Susanna and letting his body relax. His eyes slid closed and after burying his nose in her hair, his mind quieted enough for him to hover on the edge of slumber.

It was as Sherlock was about to fall completely asleep when he heard the door downstairs open and the alarm being disengaged. At first he tried to write it off as his mind playing tricks but the following footsteps that ascended the stairwell set off warning bells. He didn't even bother deducing whose footsteps they were as he immediately got up, threw on his tartan dressing gown, pocketed his pistol and exited the bedroom. He beelined for the kitchen door, leaving the lights off, and waited for the visitor to reach the landing before opening the door.

There stood Mycroft, looking disheveled and nervous. Sherlock exhaled and eyed his brother, "Did you have to come at this time of night, brother mine? I might have shot you," He cocked his head, "What's got you so nervous, Mycroft?"

"Me? Nervous?"

"Yes, Mycroft. Nervous. What's gotten you worked up, then? It's late-"

"Leilani is gestating."

While Sherlock should not have been surprised that his logical brother would have used that terminology, he was. The consulting detective froze, "Leilani is pregnant?"

"What other definition is there for gestation, Sherlock?"

"Then why are you here? Shouldn't you be at home with your expectant wife taking care of her?"

"Because she doesn't realize that she is pregnant and I cannot decide between telling her or letting her find out on her own! This was completely unplanned as well!" Mycroft snapped back. Sherlock was taken aback by his outburst and then hissed.

"Mycroft, don't raise your voice! The kids are-" Then, on cue, Victor started crying. From there it was a chain reaction. William, despite his love for his younger brother, could be heard whining about it upstairs and Susanna was immediately awakened. Sherlock groaned, "They were  asleep," Susanna stumbled out of the bedroom, "No, Love, go back to bed. I've got it."

"No, I'll-" She flipped on the lights and squinted at Mycroft, "Myc? What are you doing here?"

"My apologies for rousing the children but I required Sherlock's advice, Susanna-"

In her tired state she wasn't in the mood for it, "Whatever, I'll get them. Talk to Sherlock." She pushed past, hurrying upstairs, and Sherlock glowered at his brother.

"She's not had much sleep lately, Mycroft-"

"I will gladly send a shipment of chocolate truffles in the morning, but back to the issue at hand, Sherlock! Should I tell her or not!?"

"You're her husband, what do you think? Did she want to find out together?"

"Daddy, why is Uncle Myc here?" William asked groggily, having snuck downstairs.

"He had a few questions for me. Back up to bed now-"

"But I'm thirsty, Daddy!" William whimpered. Sherlock gave Mycroft a look and placed his hand on his son's shoulder, guiding him downstairs.

"Ask Leilani to take a test. That way you find out together and you won't spoil it for her. Come on, Hamish." Sherlock led the sleepy, nearly five year old boy into the kitchen and Mycroft sighed. Next time I'll just text.

Eight Months Later 

"Mycroft Holmes, if you don't stop using that mobile I will  take and crush it!" Leilani shouted as they wheeled her through the hospital to the operating theater for an emergency cesarean section.

She was carrying twins and had planned to have a natural birth but had gone into early labor and one of the twins moved out of position and got stuck. They couldn't do anything to reverse it so there they were, a fumbling Mycroft and very distressed Leilani, headed for surgery while he tried to block traffic so that everyone could get there faster.

Leilani was prepped and given the anesthetic while Mycroft got into mandatory scrubs. It brought some amusement to her because he was such a proper dresser, but the humor faded quickly as the surgeons got to work.

When Sherlock and Susanna finally got there, the twins had been delivered and Leilani was being stitched and cleaned up. Mycroft met them with a rare smile, "So, brother mine, what cousins for William and Victor?"

"Two identical boys. Makaio Andrew and Siger Kekoa Holmes. They're already showing signs of genius."

"Of course. We expected nothing less of the newest Holmeses."

The twins had inherited Leilani's complexion and dark eyes and Mycroft's hair color and facial structure. Later when Susanna was holding Makaio and Violet was cradling Siger, Sherlock tsked and then declared, "William and Victor were much cuter as infants than they are."

"William Sherlock Scott Holmes!"

I don't think Sherlock and Mycroft would ever stop competing against each other and I can see Sherlock teasing Mycroft like this just to push his brother's buttons.

Hope you enjoyed it!! Thank you for reading!!