The Christmas Surprise

Dedicated to VelvetVanity

It was Christmas Eve and everything was ready. Susanna double checked and then went out into the living room where Sherlock and the kids were. The father of three held nine month old Kimberly, showing her around the Christmas Tree and letting her grasp at a few ornaments. Kimberly squealed with glee and babbled as he bounced her a bit in his arms. William, on the Violin, and Victor, on the Piano, were playing a simplified duet of Holly Jolly Christmas. 

Sherlock looked over at Susanna and she nodded with a bright smile. He grinned and then dialed it back to a smile- he was as excited as the kids would be. They had been begging for a dog for a couple of years and now that Rosie was mobile- she was a very fast crawler and had started walking already- the parents had agreed that it was time for the last addition to the Holmes family.

"Boys."

The two stopped and looked over. William asked, "What is it, Dad?"

"Mummy and I are going to let you have one early Christmas present."

Victor lit up, "Are we finally getting a dog?"

"Yes, Honey." Susanna answered. The boys erupted into cheers and there were no issues getting them into their winter coats, scarves, mittens and boots. Susanna bundled up a squirmy Kimberly while Sherlock handled the boys, since they each had a different preference in how their scarves were arranged. Then they all piled into the new family car. Sherlock had totaled the last one (of course) so Susanna drove.

Soon enough they arrived at Faerie Tails Animal Shelter. The boys unbuckled themselves and William unfastened Kimberly, picking her up and handing her to Sherlock. Susanna gathered them before they entered, "Okay, when we go in there remember that some of the dogs have been hurt by people or are sick. Be gentle with them and let them meet you. And, boys, you must agree on the dog because you'll both be helping taking care of them. Alright?"

"Yes, Mum!"

"Sherlock?"

"Yes, Love." She smiled and then let the rest of them pass. While Sherlock carried Kimberly, she walked and held hands with the boys. They met Vera Langer and were quickly shown to the dogs. At that point Kimberly was transferred to Susanna who chatted with Vera and the boys, including Sherlock, were set loose. To Vera's pleasant surprise, they paid more attention to the adult and senior dogs than they did the puppies.

Victor was the one who first saw the terrier-beagle mix in the corner of the pen. With floppy ears and pitiful hound eyes, "Hey, what about her?"

"Which one, Victor?" Sherlock asked.

"She's the one with brown, black and white hair. Back there."

Vera stepped in, "We call her Terry. She came here from a sister shelter who rescued her from a pair of animal abusers. She's not a puppy and she's very picky about who she likes. She's a sweetheart, just a bit shy."

While Sherlock had been eyeing a setter mix, he gave Terry a closer look and William joined them. Susanna walked over too to look, "Do you want to meet her one on one?" Victor turned and looked at his brother and father, who nodded.

"Yes, please."

"Alright then. I'll get her. Go into that room over there and you can meet her, alright?" The family filed into the specified room and in a couple minutes, Vera brought Terry in to them, "Now, she may not come up to you at first. Just stay calm and let her come to you." She set Terry down and stood back.

Victor and William, who had taken seats on the floor, remained still and quiet. Terry walked the length of the room a few times, looking at the family warily. A few minutes passed passed before she stopped.

Then she ran full speed and launched herself into Victor's lap, climbing up and licking his cheeks and ears. He laughed and she jumped into William's lap, doing the same. Susanna giggled and Sherlock smiled, not minding a bit when the mutt found her way into his lap too, "I do believe this means she likes us."

An hour later, after a stack of paperwork and an intense discourse, the Holmeses walked out of the shelter together with Abby- named after the forensic scientist in NCIS. She rode with the kids in the back and to their relief was great in the car. It was clear she knew she was going home- she couldn't stop giving doggy kisses and jittering from excitement.

Ziva took to Abby right off the bat, the former slicking all over the latter and purring loudly. The boys set up Abby's things in their room and once everything was in order, it was time for the Christmas Story and a few songs before the kids and Abby were ushered up to bed. Once they were tucked in, Sherlock pulled Susanna back downstairs and sneakily pulled out a sprig of mistletoe. She saw and chuckled, "Oh, you."

"Well?"

She giggled and leaned up. He met her in the middle and they shared a few deep kisses before they peeled away, "Merry Christmas, Darling."

"Merry Christmas, Love."

Thank you for reading!!