Chapter Four

The group was only half-way to Mt. Flame when Zane and Aphmau had to do sunset. It was a schedule that they had to keep for the humans, they couldn't just leave the sun up in the sky. So, they both lowered the sun and raised the moon, which was a great struggle when they were on the ground, rather than the Celestial Balcony.

They all decided to rest for the night, Zane offering to keep watch for the first half of the night, then Kawaii~Chan would take the second half. They found a small shelter within a small cave, then they all layed down to sleep, Zane stationed at the cave's mouth.

Nothing remarkable happened for Zane's watch, just the forest beginning to droop with Travis' absence. After a few hours, when the moon was at its peak, Kawaii~Chan came to sit next to him, a pink shawl wrapped around her shoulders.

"It's Kawaii~Chan's turn to keep watch," she said, sitting down next to Zane. Zane nodded, though he didn't get up.

This confused Kawaii~Chan. "Isn't Zane~Kun going to go to sleep?" she asked.

"No," he said, staring up at the stars, "I'm not tired, so I'll just keep you company until I am."

Kawaii~Chan nodded, looking up to the stars. After a few minutes, she began humming a small tune, like a lullaby.

"Whatcha singin'?" Zane asked, shifting his position to get a better look at her.

"Huh?" Kawaii~Chan said, turning towards him, "Oh, just a tune Kawaii~Chan made up when she was younger. Kawaii~Chan put it into a music box. It lulls Kawaii~Chan to sleep when she can't."

"I didn't know that you liked music," Zane mused, propping his chin up on his hand.

Kawaii~Chan sighed sadly, looking back at the stars. "I'm actually the Goddess of Music." she whispered.

"What?" Zane yelled, his brows furrowing together, "I didn't know that."

"You used to," Kawaii~Chan said, taking his hand in hers. "May I?" she asked, looking him dead in the eye.

Zane nodded his head, knowing that she wanted to share some of her memories with him. She closed her eyes and channeled all of her memories into her palm. Zane felt himself leave the cave as he traveled into Kawaii~Chan's memory.

He opened his eye and found himself in the god's palace, most likely a few thousand years ago. He looked around and saw that he was in Kawaii~Chan's room. Most of it was pink, a few golden accents here and there. The walls were pink, golden musical notes spread out, seemingly creating a song as Zane read them. There were a hugs array of musical instruments around the room, like guitars and harps.

Zane's eye fell on the large pink bed in the corner and he gasped. He saw Kawaii~Chan before she became Kawaii~Chan. Her ears and tail were the same, and so was her hair and eyes, but the rest of her was so different. She was wearing a pair of overalls, a light pink shirt, and no shoes. Her hair was down and longer, and she was writing in a large book as she played a small tune on a lyre she was holding.

"This was me right after Michael was chained," a current Kawaii~Chan said, materializing next to Zane.

"Nana," Zane heard someone call out from outside the room. To his surprise, the younger Kawaii~Chan looked up from her work and got off the bed, running down the hall as Zane and the older Kawaii~Chan followed invisibly. They made their way down the hall and into the grand throne room, the place where all the gods came to meet.

"Music was never really looked upon as anything special," the older Kawaii~Chan said, "so I was considered a minor god and never got much attention."

Zane watched as Irene looked down at the younger Kawaii~Chan and smiled. Irene looked just as she did in all of the tapestries. Her long, black hair flowed out and around her dark caramel face as her dark eyes sparkled. She wore a simple, white dress, a golden hood lined with blue draped over her head and shoulders. Great wings burst from her back.