chapter one

Katerina's p.o.v.

~

I opened my eyes to darkness, not entirely aware or alert yet. I loved this time in the morning; the time between sleep and awake. I felt like I was just seeing the world for the first time. And then suddenly everything came rushing back. Who I was, how old I was, where I was. My favorite time was over.

It was August 19th, the first day of junior year. It's been 2 years since the day Luke told me that he liked letting go. We haven't spoken to each other since then. I actually couldn't wait to start school. I was kind of a nerd I guess. I had exceptionally good grades. I might graduate by the end of this school year.

I got ready for school. My usual school attire was a loose tshirt and jeans and my old black Converse Allstars. I was insecure about my body but I wasn't anorexic or anything. I only really had one friend; Calum Hood. He was my bestfriend. He was one of the sweetest guys I'd ever met and he cared so much about everyone. He just wanted everyone and everything to be happy.

I walked down the stairs into the kitchen. My mom was packing up her briefcase to go to work. She was a lawyer and worked at a law firm. My dad had already left for work. He worked at NASA as an astronomer, so he had to go to work earlier.

"I'm going to work now. Bye," my mom said plainly. "Bye." I responded without even bothering to look in her direction. It really pissed me off how she just left like that. But she did it everyday. So by now it was just routine.

My phone rang and I looked at the caller id. It was Calum. He always called me in the morning to say good morning and stuff because my mom never did.

"Good morning sunshine," Calum sang into the phone. I flinched as his voice rang through my eardrums. "Well good morning to you, too, Calum," I replied, massaging my eardrums. "What are you eating for breakfast," he asked. "Um..." I searched through my fridge, looking for yogurt or something. "I'm eating strawberry yogurt." I could imagine Calum make a face. He absolutely hated strawberries. "That's disgusting. I'm eating waffles just so you know," Calum chirped. He was always so happy. I envied him for that.

"Kay well I have to go get ready for school," Calum said. "Calum! We have to leave for school in exactly 32 minutes and you're not even ready yet," I scolded him. "Whoops. Sorry, I slept late. Plus," he drew out the s,"I don't like school as much as you do. Actually I hate school." I sighed. "Whatever Calum, just hurry up and get ready please. We're going to school together remember," I reminded. Calum always forgot things like that. "Yeah yeah I remember. Okay well bye. See you later," he said, clearly not listening to me. "Bye Calum," I hung up the phone.

I honestly couldn't wait to get to school today. But for some reason I had this voice at the back of my head telling me that today wouldn't be what I expected it to be.

~

"Cal come on, we're gonna be late," I gushed. It was hot outside today, and I really didn't want to walk into school all sweaty and nasty on my first day. But I also didn't want to be late.

Calum stopped and stomped his foot like a little 5 year old when his mom took away his candy. "But I don't want to go to school," he whined. "You're so pathetic," I muttered and grabbed his arm, attempting to drag him down the sidewalk. We were right in front the Arlington Cemetery, just 2 blocks away from school. He was much stronger than me, so all he had to do was plant his feet and stand there. After about a minute of this, I gave up and walked away. I knew that Calum hated being left alone and that he would follow me. Sure enough, I heard him jog to catch up to me.

"You're such a bitch," he said, playfully shoving me. I shoved him back and he stumbled about 3 feet back. He had a mock 'did you really just do that' face expression which I didn't hesitate to giggle at. We continued shoving each other until we got to school.

We walked into the building to find students rushing around, putting their books away, running to classes, or going to meet with their friends. Calum and I found my locker, then Calum left to go find his.

I was just getting my books out of my bag when someone slammed into the locker next to me, startling me and making me drop my books. I looked up to see piercing blue eyes staring straight at me. It was Luke. His eyebrows scrunched up as if he was trying to think about something, then all of a sudden he smiled and said, "Priss!" I looked around to see if anyone else heard him say that. Everyone around us fell silent. I looked away and bent down to pick up my books.

"Well well well, if it isn't Miss Pristine. The one that's not stuck up, just smart," he laughed. I just stared at him, hoping he would stop."Still as pristine as usual I see." He smirked at me. I hated when he did that. Mostly because he did it way too much.

"If by pristine you mean smart, then yes, still as pristine as usual." I have no idea why I said that or where it came from, but it felt good to say it. He smirked at me again and looked at my books, then me, then my books again. He took one last glance at me before slamming both hands onto the books I was holding in my arms. I felt my thumb bend backwards and yelped. Luke laughed at me then walked over to his friends. One of them gave him a high five. I was cradling my thumb in my arms when Luke called out,"Don't be a smart ass Prissy."

I didn't like him. Not one bit.

~ ~ ~

Hey guys! I'm not sure if I like this chapter yet or not but whatever. If you hadn't figured it out yet, they live in Washington, D.C. lol. Well k bye! Please read! Thank you!