Chapter 8: Rhyme and Meter Secret Keeper

Shimmer's POV:

A week has passed since I had initially discovered my new abilities. A week of practicing with these new abilities. I felt as though I was in control of them, and I was confident in how reliably I'd summoned them in the past week.

I have been practicing nearly nonstop, only taking breaks to eat, use the restroom, and sleep. I assume everyone is becoming a little worried due to me disappearing into my room and not emerging until hours later. After Lloyd's six-month bout of depression, I suspect they're all a little wary of things like that.

I was eating dinner with everyone when scrambling footsteps thumped above the kitchen, interrupting pleasant conversation and the steady clink of silverware. We sat in complete silence for a moment.

"Ooo ghosts." sad Cole, wiggling his fingers at us and squinting his eyes.

At that moment, Sensei Wu burst into the room, slightly panting. "Shimmer, come." 

Quickly rising, I followed him, sensing the urgency in his voice. The others rose from their places at the table as well as I sprinted out of the room after Sensei Wu, who already had a head start.

We followed Sensei Wu to his room, skidding to a stop upon our arrival, Slowly entering the small room, I marveled at the keepsakes and knickknacks hung neatly on the walls or sitting on shelves with precise order.

I was snapped out of my thoughts as I approached the small table on which an aged scroll was lain. Leaning over the table with Sensei Wu and the others, I studied the scroll. It looked old, crinkled and ripped slightly around the edges, dried out wood for each end of the scroll, and yellowed parchment topped off the old feeling the scroll gave off.

"Would you mind reading it aloud for us Shimmer?" Asked Sensei Wu as he raised his face to look me in the eye, an action I copied, meeting his gaze.

I knelt at the low table before I focused on the words and began reading.

The brightest of yellows
That's a good start
The sun's warm rays
Are golden at heart

Into the fire
It's yours to control
Embers are orange
Before red, hot coals

Anger and rage
Boil the blood
Caution be known
Or swept in the flood

Loving in purple
Those who have died
Every tear shed
By those who have cried

Blue in the sky
Though clouds will trail
Lightning and thunder
Will always prevail

Green is new hope
Light up the world
Spring is the proof
When leaves  unfurl

Darkness and black
Are one and the same
Magic, it lurks
Using this name

If you can harness

The power of light

Spread now your wings
And take flight

Once all are mastered
A rainbow appears
The color wave
Will help erase your fears

A dark threat will arise
Dawning from a realm the dead are caught in
In order to defeat the threat
Remember what history has forgotten

I read slowly, trying to fully comprehend the words.

"I found this while searching one of my many bookshelves for something to read. It is a prophecy of sorts. Is there anything you can tell me Asked Sensei, directing his question at me.

Pausing for a moment to gather my thoughts, I answered, "aside from the last stanza, the prophecy is referring to the light order. The order goes as follows: yellow, orange, red, purple, blue, green, black, white, and rainbow. They are ordered from weakest to strongest in potency. The prophecy lays them out in that order while giving a little more information about each color of light."

"Each color represents something. Yellow represents the sun since the sun is the first source of power, but its abundance also results in it being the weakest light color. Orange and red are, in some regards, twin colors. Both represent anger, re being rage and orange being simple anger. They also represent fire, another source of light; however, only more advanced light masters can discover and create their own fire." I began twirling a few flames of fire through my fingers to show what I meant. Extinguishing the flames as they all quietly gasped, I continued, "orange and red part from their similarities when it comes to strength; red is more effective than orange. Orange and red are easiest to create when angry; a person's level of anger will determine which color is easiest to conjure up. Purple symbolizes love and heartache both, but especially heartache when it is for someone you love. Purple is stronger than red, and is easiest to make when in grief or when feeling love of any kind, whether it be feeling loved or being in love. Blue is the color for electricity and sadness." I made a crackling ball in my hand before continuing on as I let the writhing ball slowly diminish and fade. Jay was particularly starry-eyed at this bit. "blue is easiest to create when a person is sad in general and is particularly easy when depressed. Blue is stronger than its predecessor color. Green stands for hope, and is obviously easiest to create when hopeful. Green is stronger than blue. Black is the color of black magic. Unless one is evil or has evil intentions, black is hard to create, yet still not the strongest. Most light masters learn how to create black and quickly move on as the magic can easily consume you...even a master. White represents purity as well as wings. Light wings are an envied power among light masters, or so I've read. White light is hard to create. As for wings, most masters cannot create them; the power must choose you. This color is easiest to create when one's motives are pure. Of course, white is more powerful than black. Rainbow is the last kind of light. Though, not really one kind of light, but all the prior colors combined. The rainbow can create something called the color wave; it's incredibly powerful and hard to create. One can only create rainbow light once all prior light forms have been mastered. I've already mastered rainbow light. The last time you saw me, I didn't use it because it's dangerous and I didn't want to hurt anyone, not to mention that I was already weak after my transformation. 

"In any case that's the light order." I finished.

No one moved for a moment, processing all the information that was just dumped on them (And my poor readers! T.T Sorry, loves!). 

"What about the last stanza?" Questioned the ever-curious Zane.

"I'm not sure. I think its describing how to defeat Morro due to its accuracy to our current situation, but I'm clueless as to what that is." Thinking for a moment, I continued, "I'll see if I can think of what it's talking about. If it's something history has forgotten, then I must know what it is without knowing that I know it."

Silence fell over the group, and, soon after, Sensei excused us.

I went straight to my room, scroll in tow, to ponder what the last stanza could be talking about. 

So much for dinner...