Chapter Two (The Middle)

Chapter Two

(The Middle)

Ray burrowed deeper into the straw, curling up into a ball before wrapping his arms around his shoulders in an attempt to preserve some warmth. Tired, hungry, and shivering so hard his bones were aching, Ray wasn't sure how much longer he could last. In the unrelenting darkness he'd lost track of time, but he was convinced they'd spent close to two days stuck in this godforsaken hole, and that was two days too many. He wasn't blaming Greg―just the opposite―but there had to be a limit to their suffering, didn't there?

"Are you okay?"

Greg's voice drifted across the width of the room along with the sound of rustling straw as he moved.

"No. I'm fucking freezing. I can't believe it's so cold."

"It's not that cold, but why don't you come over here and I'll keep you warm." Greg's invitation had Ray's body twitching. He could almost feel his skin breaking out in goose bumps at the thought―unless that was the cold sticking him with ice-like needles.

"I'm fine."

"You just said you weren't. Come on. We can share body heat."

Ray tightened his jaw, mainly to stop his teeth from breaking apart from the constant chattering, but also to hold back on a soft moan. Sharing body heat with Greg meant plastering himself against all that skin, and Ray didn't think he had the ability to do that without his body betraying him.

He couldn't have known such circumstances as these would inspire friendship, but during their long conversations to distract themselves, he'd started to like Greg. The man was determined and smart, but most of all he'd encouraged Ray to keep his spirits high. The problem was, Ray had also found himself attracted to Greg. At one point he thought he'd accidentally let on how he was feeling, but Greg hadn't shown any signs of noticing. However, there would be no chance of hiding it once he was cuddled up in Greg's arms.

"Ray. Are you coming over here, or do I have to come and get you?"

"I..." Torn between what could be an embarrassing moment or lying there and freezing to death, Ray reluctantly forced his limbs to move and pushed aside the thin layer covering him.

The glacial concrete floor beneath his feet barely registered as he skirted around the small drain they'd found in the middle, though what it was used for Ray didn't know, considering they hadn't found any running water, or anything else of value in here for that matter. There was only the straw and the small box of supplies Ray was trying not to think about.

As he reached where Greg lay he heard him shifting again, and then in the low light he saw a glimpse of Greg's smile. He hesitated, just for a second, and then dropped to his knees and crawled into a literal body of warmth.

"God, you're hot," he murmured, wishing he'd had the nerve to do this earlier.

"Thanks. I think you're kind of hot too."

Ray almost groaned as he realized Greg had taken his statement the wrong way. "No, I mean you feel hot," he stammered.

Greg's chuckle whispered across Ray's ear, eliciting a tiny spark of flame. "I know what you meant. Now come here."

Enfolded within Greg's arms, Ray practically melted, and as he'd guessed, it wasn't the heat Greg generated that caused his body to instantly defrost. Ray knew being pressed up against Greg was going to affect him but he hadn't realized how much. He felt a little light-headed, and he was sure a part of his brain had shut down because all he could think about was getting closer.