Chapter Three (The End)

Chapter Three

(The End)

Before Ray had barely got the door open, he grabbed Greg's arm and dragged him inside, and then before Greg had a chance to say anything, Ray mashed their lips together, taking the kiss he'd been longing for all week. Greg responded by opening up to him, allowing Ray to delve deeper, and Ray took full advantage, pushing Greg up against the wall while kicking the door closed.

He slowly took his fill, reveling the taste of Greg's mouth and the firm softness of his lips, and then when marginally satisfied, he pulled back.

"Mmm. I love how you say hello," Greg said, laughter filling his warm, dark eyes.

"I missed you." Looking up at him, Ray tried not to let his unhappiness show. He hated that Greg lived so far away. Seeing him only on weekends wasn't enough, and when Greg was here, all Ray kept thinking about was when Greg had to leave. It had been difficult enough at the beginning when they were still getting to know one another, but it had become increasingly harder the more Ray allowed his emotions to grow.

"I miss you too, which is why there's something I want to talk to you about." Greg laced his hands behind Ray's back, pulling him close. "I put in for a transfer, and it was accepted."

"You did? When? Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't want to get your hopes up, or mine. But now it's official. I start in a week, so that'll give me time to settle in here."

"Here? As in the city?"

The gleam in Greg's eyes should have warned Ray, but he was still digesting Greg's news about moving closer. In the past six months he'd often thought about changing jobs so he could see more of Greg, but he hadn't been completely sure how Greg would take it. After everything they'd been through, after all the time they spent together, he knew Greg felt something for him, but he wasn't sure how deep it went.

"No. Here, as in this apartment."

"You...here...with me?" Ray heard his voice go up an octave, and he quickly tamped down his excitement and surprise. "I mean, of course, if you want to."

"I do want to, just as much as I know you want me to. Your hints haven't exactly been subtle." Greg grinned, his mouth wide, his eyes bright. "And I can't stand being away from you. It's killing me only seeing you two nights a week."

Ray swallowed the hard lump in his throat, wondering if Greg realized how much those words meant to him. When Greg moved in for a soft kiss, he reckoned Greg knew exactly what they meant. He slid his arms around Greg's neck, intending to deepen the kiss, but Greg stopped him.

"One more thing before we christen that new king-sized bed you just got delivered." At once Greg's face grew somber. "They got twenty years each."

Not really wanting to discuss the conviction of the two men who had abducted and then almost killed Greg, Ray merely nodded. He'd opted out of attending the final hearing, knowing he'd be unable to hide the anger still boiling within him.

"It's over," Greg said, pushing a loose strand of Ray's hair away from his face. "So now we can forget about it."

"I'll never forget, or forgive them. One of them nearly killed you and the other one wanted to rape you."

"Babe, please don't worry about it anymore, okay? I'm alive, you're alive. I love you, and—"

Ray snapped his gaze up to meet Greg's eyes. "Say that again." Oh, he better had heard right, and Greg had better have meant what he said.