one

Chapter One:

     It happened in the space of time between one second and the next. One second, I was peacefully enjoying a cup of punch by the far wall, relishing in the fact that I was finally away from all the buzz at the crowded party- and away from my wretched parents. Then next, my arm had been seized in a vice grip, tightening every time I pulled in an attempt to free myself. 

     My wild, confused eyes landed on the man dragging me through the hall, his face set like stone. "W-who are you?" I asked, looking around for some sort of explanation.

     My shoes squeaked along the floor as my legs tried to find traction to pull away, but he was just too strong. By now everyone in the party had stopped to look, seeing the poor Alpha's daughter in distress. They all thought I was some prim perfect Daddy's girl spoiled to infinity, throwing a tantrum when I wasn't getting my way. But I was just as confused as they were.

     Did I spill something? Was Dad having one of his anger management issues again? All this panicking in the hall was going to make me pass out.

     When the man finally screeched to a halt near the doors, I let out a sigh of relief. But I might as well have sucked it back in because my parents were standing there, glowering at me like always. I bowed, lifting my evening gown slightly, though it was hard since the man still had a bruising grip on my arm.

     "Hello, Father, Mother." I addressed, knowing that's how it was supposed to be done.

     I took another glance around, smelling something peculiar, but nonetheless nice. Someone must've put one too many spritzes of cologne on, though it wasn't a bad scent. My eyes shifted to the small group of professional looking people by the huge, vaulted mahogany doors.

     The guards looked as if they were stone statues, looking straight ahead, arms never moving. I might've thought they were dead if not their chests didn't rise and fall with each breath. In the middle of it all, a hulking man and a petite woman clung to each other as if they weren't physically able to let go. The sight seemed off as the proportions were all wanky, too tall of a man for too short of a woman.

     My eyes couldn't help but linger on the man. He was a beautifully sculpted creature, muscles defined like they were chiseled by the Moon Goddess herself. However another harsh yank on my arm brought me back to attention.

     "Ninny!" Mother hissed. "Are you even listening to me?"

     "Yes, Mum." I answered back, trying not to show my disdain at the nickname which I had grown to dislike.

     She let out an aggravated huff, "Your father has big news."

     My father always looked down upon me. Never once has he ever been proud of me or anything I've done, no matter how hard I tried. He always pointed out my faults, chided me on my imperfections, punished me for mistakes. I was never good enough in his eyes and that will forever haunt me.

     He took a step forward, "Ninny, this was a hard decision for your mother and I to make, but we have agreed to an arranged marriage, in exchange for an ally with the Karas Pack." He gestured to the group of people at the door.

     My mouth dropped open. An arranged marriage? Was I that horrible of a daughter that they wanted to send me away? They were never nice but I always thought there was some sort of compassion in those hearts.

     "We needed to make allies with this pack, and this was the only way." He explained, his entire being lacking remorse for what he had done.

     I couldn't speak. My fists were clenched by my sides yet I knew I would never act with them. My instincts told me to run, escape before I was sucked away to these strangers pack and forced to wed some unknown man.