Chapter 1

The letter could not have come at a worse time. Its slightly off-white envelope, with a blue stamp. The silver lining on the letter and the super perfect writing in black.

How could one letter be so intimidating?

Crallize's distinctive stationary stood out like a sore thumb in the large jumble of mail in my hands. I held my breath and felt my hands shaking as I dropped the rest of the mail, leaving the heavy letter in my hands. I slid my finger through the envelope and delved into the words.

King Ryker and Queen Julia,

It seems that our deals and promises are finally sealed. Now we have one more step to take in uniting our kingdoms. All of Crallize is eager to have a new princess, and our dear Kade is as excited as ever. Your well-beloved daughter will enjoy her new life at our palace. Kade is a good boy and such a gentleman, I'm sure he will be perfect for your Abril. Thank you for your time, your welcomes, and your daughter.

Sincerely,

King Todd and Queen Juniper

So many feelings and thoughts flooded into my head. Deals, promises, united, new life, Kade, Abril.

Gripping the letter hard, I ran to my dad's study. Neither Mom nor Dad were there, so I rushed up two flights of stairs to my parents' room. I kicked the door hard and felt furious. The door finally opened.

"Wha- "my dad started.

"You're marrying me off!" I yelled, kicking the wall next to me again. "You're marrying me off to Prince Kade! Ugh, that disgusting slob, I'll never- "

"Abril!" Dad yelled, and I turned my face towards him in a flash. "How- "

I shoved the letter in his face. "This!"

He looked guilty. "We were going to tell you," he pleaded.

"You were going to tell me? When, Dad, when were you going to tell me?"

"We were going to wait until this letter came, saying that we were ready. I wanted to make sure it was okay with Crallize!" The minute it came out, I could see he regretted it.

"So, this was your idea?"

"Abril, Kade is a good, responsible man, who is very proper and does what he's told!" He yelled, avoiding the question. "He'll fit as your suitor very nicely!"

"Dad!" I shouted. "I've already got a suitor!"

He raised his eyebrows.

I cleared my throat. "It's Ceylon. We're getting married."

"Ceylon, you mean that disastrous guard boy?" He looked startled as I nodded. "Well it's too late now, and Prince Kade is actually your perfect man!"

"Pfft! My perfect man! I already found my perfect man, Dad! And they said thank you for your daughter! Like I'm some kind of inanimate object that is up for giving away!"

"Abril Mave Skyleigh! You are going to this wedding and you are marrying this man, you hear me?" He boomed.

"No," I kept shaking my head, tears forming in my eyes. "No, I can't go. No." I ran off, crying.