Chapter 2

"Ceylon?" I said.

"Yes, Mavey?" Ceylon asked.

"I have to leave."

"What do you mean?"

"Dad's marrying me off. I have to go to Crallize in one week."

"What? But we're getting married, Abril!" He looked flustered.

"I can't change it! Dad won't let me. Plus, it'll be good right?" I was reassuring myself more than I was Ceylon. I felt a tear run down my cheek. "I mean, we've got an ally. Ophelia's third ally. Crallize is good," I sobbed.

Ceylon held me. "Prince Kade?" he asked after a small moment's silence. I nodded in reply.

Ceylon leaned down to kiss me, but I pushed him away.

"I don't want to make it harder than it already is," I cried.

I stood from the couch Ceylon and I had been sitting on. After wiping off a tear, I wiggled off the small golden ring he had given to me.

"I am so, so sorry," I said, tossing the ring on the table beside the couch.

----------------

"Abril are you ready?" Mom asked.

I glanced over all my luggage and at the private plane I was to leave in. "Yes."

"Good. We'll see you at the wedding," she told me, and then walked away with dad. I rolled my eyes and turned my attention to Claire.

"I love you, Claire," I said smiling.

My younger sister hugged me hard. "I love you, too."

Claire is fourteen years old, and possibly the prettiest person in the entire world. Unlike Mom and Dad, Claire and my older brother, Quentin, actually care about me.

Quentin stood, smiling, his hands held neatly behind his back. I held his glance over Claire's shoulder.

I pulled back from Claire and threw my arms around Quentin.

"You're the best brother anyone could ever have!" I squeezed him hard, laughing.

"Be good, Abril Mave. And remember to have fun, even when I'm not there," he joked. "You can visit me and Mora anytime you want." Mora is Quentin's wife, and Ophelia's princess.

"I definitely will," I promised, thinking of the sweet girl.