The Night After (Zhen Wen)

Note: this story will be written in two POVs: Zhen Wen's and Zhen Wu's. The setting in this Chapter One is set right after the last episode of the drama.

The sun is down. We didn't really realize it when we practiced in the gym, and when captain finally said we're done for the day, the tiredness finally sank in. It might seem like I didn't do anything much compared to the others, but keeping up with the guys' timing really drained my brain (and fingers after writing down a gazillion numbers).

"So they've settled their problems, huh?" I say.

Zhen Wu is walking beside me, smiling at the two guys fooling around in front of us (well, mostly it's Yu Hao teasing Zi Xuan). Zhen Wu always does that, smiling. It has been his second nature to smile at everything.

"I guess? Look at Yu Hao showing his teeth like an idiot that he is."

I laugh at his remark. When we saw Yu Hao and Zi Xuan walked out of the gym side by side, everything just clicked. No more tension between them, no more lame sadness looming above Yu Hao, and no more hurt showing on their faces. Maybe we're like that once too?

"Are you hungry? I have a cookie if you want." Zhen Wu's voice snaps me out of my thoughts. He starts to open his bag.

I stop his hands. "I am, but we'll be home in a moment. I'll just endure it."

He hesitates. A small package of cookie won't even make that much of a difference anyway. Besides, he always makes it a big deal when I'm not eating, which I don't understand why. "Ge (哥-brother), it's just for a while. I'll eat as soon as we get back."

He silently adjusts his bag to his shoulder. After a while walking in silence, hearing only sounds of Yu Hao's stupid loud laugh and our sneakers brushing against the sidewalk, he seems to remember something and directly pulls my backpack away.

"Wha-Ge, it's not even heavy." But he has taken a hold of it and he starts walking without saying anything, leaving me behind. I deliberately don't let go of one of the straps and he is pulled back the instant he walks three steps ahead. I burst out laughing when I saw his clumsy gesture trying to keep himself from falling.

He initially doesn't show any expression, but I know his heart is beating fast as he didn't expect any of that, and shades of pink starts to show on his cheeks. I laugh even harder thinking about that and how he tries so hard to conceal his embarrassment. After a moment, he finally gives up and shows a smile of defeat. I let go of my bag and he immediately walks away while shaking his head. I stand still for a while, looking at his back-strong and dependable, and my heart is full. I hurry my legs to catch up with him.

The bus stop is somewhat crowded, but it's only filled with students like us who stay later for extra activities. There is no seat left on the bench and we have no choice but to stand. I know Zhen Wu's legs (and basically his whole body) are dying because the coach beat him extra hard today. He can't do anything, really, as he's the Libero of the team and he has previously taken some time off from volley. He's still super skilled, but he needs more work to catch up with the lost time. I'm glad he can go back to his beloved volley.

"Yu Hao and Zi Xuan's bus will come soon and those people will also leave their seats. You can sit there after they're gone," I say to him, pointing at the students sitting on the bench with my chin. Yu Hao and Zi Xuan take a different bus because their route is different from ours, and they will leave before us.

"I'm okay," he says.

I scoff. No, he's not. But I reply okay anyway.

The bus comes and the stupid new couple wave bye to us. We wave back. As I thought, some seats are left empty and I immediately push Zhen Wu to sit down before he could protest. If I were late for even a second, another person would snatch it in the blink of an eye.

"You don't need to do that," he whispers, averting eyes from the girl who shoots daggers at him because he has 'taken her seat'. I smile at her sweetly and she backs away.

"Your legs will thank me."

He smiles again and actually let out a sigh of relief. I know he's tired. I stand close beside him, and he puts our bags on his lap. A second later, I feel him reaching for my hand. I am actually surprised he did that because there are still quite a handful of people still waiting for the bus, but from their point of view, it just seems like Zhen Wu is doing nothing. I take his hand, and our bags conceal our hands.

Zhen Wu leans his head on the side of my body and closes his eyes. "Don't fall asleep, you're heavy. The bus is coming soon," I say, jerking my hips slightly to wake him and he hums, indicating he heard me. It takes a lot of me to stop myself from smiling the whole time we're waiting. I look at the moon to distract myself, then I realize I have a phone I can play with. But the thing is in my left pocket, where Zhen Wu falling asleep basically makes it impossible to take it out. He keeps leaning more and more towards me, getting heavier. I sigh and wait for the bus to arrive, and thankfully it doesn't take too long.

I push Zhen Wu with my hips to wake him up, and then take our bags from his lap, immediately walking to the bus. He stands up right away and tries to take the them, which I don't let him. He looks a bit disoriented, but he'll manage.

We walk to the back seats, me sitting by the window and Zhen Wu beside me. He takes the bags and hugs them, making a make-shift pillow, and lays his head on my shoulder. I cover my mouth with my hands. Heck, maybe I should wear a mask these days...

He is instantly fast asleep, and his hands slowly fall to each of his sides, one falls just near my thigh. I take it absentmindedly. He has big hands, bigger than mine, and calluses from playing volley are beginning to appear on them again. They're rough, still pink on the way to healing, and he usually wraps them so it's not too painful. I admire the strength his hands possess, the many skills they have. I then trace the lines on his palm ever so slightly; drawing small circles on it, and gently poke its surface. After some time contemplating, I decide to write "我喜欢你" (I like you) slowly on his palm. Right after I trace the last line of that sentence, Zhen Wu grabs my finger, and doesn't let go. I look at him, obviously surprised. He still appears to be asleep, but I don't know since when he woke up and realized my creepy... hand worship (?). I try once more to pull my hand away, but he only holds it tighter. I give up and our fingers intertwine.

"I know," he whispers.

I close my eyes and lean my head against his. I amhappy.

***

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy it <3

Votes and comments would be very much appreciated! :)

More chapters to come~