3

as i walk into school, i stress out from what's to come. this is the last year of highschool. the last year i'm forced to go to school.

kinda. my mom really wants me to go to college, and yeah i do too. but it's not like the government forces you to go to college.

anyway.

i already know there is about to be drama. i can feel it.

also, ethan. idk how to feel about him.

my thoughts are interrupted by someone bumping into me.

"oh my gosh i'm so sorry" a girl with long, jet black hair laughed.

"no worries, it's all good," i joined the laugh, "i'm layla" i lift the corners of my mouth into a sweet smile.

"my name's devany," her light yellow-green eyes sparkle. she's a naturally tan girl.

"your skin color is so gorgeous by the way" i just had to point it out. it's like caramel.

"thank you," her smile grew, "one of the perks of being part cuban" she giggled.

"of course. well i have to get to class, but i'll see you around?" i suggest.

"yea, yea, totally. who do you have for first period?"

"mrs. melari, you?"

"so do i" she gasped.

we laugh again as we walk to class together.

right when i enter the door, i'm welcomed with the scent of hazelnut coffee.

devany and i both breathe through our nose, taking it in.

"layla!" i hear someone call my name. i look over and see grayson, ethan's twin brother. grayson is actually really sweet. we're pretty good friends.

i go and sit next to him, making sure devany is sitting to my other side.

"who is that, he's so hot" she whispers.

"my boyfriends twin brother" i raise my eyebrows.

"layla, you coming over for dinner?" grayson asks.

"i think so, yeah. i'm home alone for a couple days. my mom is out of town taking care of my grandma."

"what about you dad?" devany asks.

"oh, well, he uhm. he's not in my life. he took off when he found out my mom was gonna have me"

"i'm so sorry, i had no idea"

"it's totally fine. people ask all the time, it doesn't bother me anymore" i reassure her with a smile.

i can see in her eyes she still feels bad, but she smiles back anyway.