epilogue.

"happy birthdayyy" devany cheered and hugged me.

"thank you so much" i laughed and wrapped my arms around her.

"here's your present" she handed me a medium sized box wrapped in pretty violet wrapping paper.

"aw, thanks dev. come on in, everyone is gathered in the living room" i informed her. we walked together into the crowded room and i sat the gift down onto the coffee stand with all the others.

"who's ready for cake?!" grayson yelled.

i'm so happy the dolans are still in my life after all these years. they're still a second family of mine.

i really wish ethan was here to celebrate my 21st birthday with me.

we all scooted our way to the kitchen and i sat down at the table as everyone surrounded me. mom carried the cake over and sat it down in front of me.

"an ocean cake.." i smiled, a pained smile.

it was always ethan and i's thing to go to the beach and listen to the waves.

"well it's all you talk about. none of us know exactly why. but the ocean seems important to you" angel shrugged, smiling at me.

my heart ached.

"happy birthday to you.." my mom started, and everyone else joined in. as they were singing, all i could think about was ethan. the way he laughed. the way he held onto me when he saw a bug because he was so scared of them for whatever reason.

i chuckled to myself, from the memories.

"alright, make a wish" my friend, tivia, jumped in excitement.

all i want?

is to feel ethan.

just once more.

i blew out the candles feeling even more empty than before.

"soon" i heard a whisper in my ear.

"what?" i turned around looking at everyone behind me. they all shared the same confusing looks.

"who said that?" i asked them all.

"said what?" angel said.

"uh, nothing, nevermind" my eyes rapidly blinked.

"i miss you too" i felt a warm breeze brushing against my ear.

am i going crazy?

"i-i think i forgot my camera in my room. i'll be right back" i told everyone and walked up the stairs, closing myself in my room. i open the glass door and stepped out onto the balcony. i look up at the stars.

a tear splashes my cheek, slightly startling me.

my breathing becomes heavier as more tears stream down my face.

"come back" i say to the air.

my throat is sore from trying to keep quiet while crying.

one of the worst feelings ever.

i dropped to the concrete below my feet when i didn't hear a response. at this point my body jolted with sobs.

"i need you, ethan." i whispered through my cries.

all of the sudden a bright light shines in front of me. i squinted my eyes, trying to see what was going on.

then i saw him. ethan was standing right in front of me. but it wasn't crystal clear. it's like he wasn't solid. he was a glowing blue light with a golden shine around him.

"you're gonna be okay" his lips moved calmly.

"ethan." i breathed out, completely shocked.

"hey, layla." he gave me that adorable smirk.

"listen, i'm so sorry for-"

"hey, don't say anything about that. it was years ago. don't feel bad. some people lose feelings, it's okay." he stepped closer to me.

"no. no. all my feelings are back, though. they have been for the longest time and i can't take it anymore" i shiver as more and more tears flood my eyes.

"i promise it's going to be okay. you will move on, you will get better." he stepped even closer. inches away from me, i could just barely feel his breath hitting my forehead.

"just one more," i reached for his hand, "please?"

he grabbed my face and pressed a gentle, yet passionate kiss on my lips.

"i love you ethan."

"i love you too, layla" he stepped back.

"please don't go yet" i put my arm out.

"thank you for everything" a few sparkles started to fly around him.

no no no. not yet.

"ethan, stay, i need you"

"i'm always watching over you. don't forget that." a tear slipped his eye.

"if you leave me, i won't survive."