2- 'Covert Status' is a Great Excuse

Parker Magdalen

__________________

I came to only seconds after the plane had come to a screeching halt. The air smelt of smoke and burnt rubber, tainted by the smell of the ocean. I glanced around and saw that the majority of the passengers had remained conscious and were growing more and more alarmed as they surveyed their situation. I quickly stood up, making sure that my gun was still holstered and that I was physically unharmed before doing the only thing I could think of.

"Everyone remain calm, there are several agents of the FBI on this plane!" I shouted. A desperate move, but if not, chaos would unleash itself. At almost the same time, a woman shouted,

"Don't panic! I'm with the British Intelligence Service!" MI6. What a coincidence- no, coincidences didn't exist, this was deliberate. I exchanged a glance with her before stepping over Ferguson. The woman met me halfway up the aisle.

"I'm Maxine Clarke, MI6. You?" The woman looked young to be MI6, probably around twenty seven. She seemed unharmed, save for a gash on her forehead.

"Parker Magdalen, FBI. I've got six other agents with me. How many do you have?" She seemed to hesitate before giving me her answer, probably due to some secrecy.

"There are six of us, but there's apparently also a girl from the CIA. She's the one who landed the plane." 

"I can't imagine how that went. I think we've ought to talk to her. What are the chances our three agencies would all be on this plane?" I said sarcastically as we shuffled towards the cockpit. My dry attempt at humour was keeping me from starting to worry for  our dire situation. 

"Thin, very thin. I'm thinking someone knew all of us would be on here and picked off the pilot. Let's worry about that later though." Her British-accented voice was surprisingly confident, all facts considered. Still, I could hear her breath hitch as she caught sight of the sub-in pilot.

The girl was unconscious -maybe dead- and her head rested on the giant console. Blood dripped from her head, and with the state of the cockpit it was obvious that she'd made it so that the front of the plane would take the brunt of the force, rather than where the other passengers had sat. 

"God, she couldn't be a day over 21. Hold on," Maxine muttered, and turned back to face the cabin.

"Hey, we know that there's some CIA on the plane. You might want to get over here, your friend doesn't look much good." Maxine shouted to them. It seemed that almost everyone was conscious again, yet for a second no one stirred. Then slowly, a woman and two men stood up, all probably younger than 30 years old. How the hell could they be CIA? They tentatively stepped forward, with wary eyes and cautious movements. Their paces quickened when they caught site of the girl. 

"Jesus, always have to be the hero, don't you?" one of the men swore quietly as he studied the girl, tentatively shifting her onto her side. He picked up one of her arms and touched his fingers to her wrist before letting out a breath of relief and looking back at us.

"Well, you caught us. Now who are you?" he asked in a gruff voice as he started to rub the blood off of the girl's pale face with his shirt sleeve.

"I'm Maxine, that's Parker... sorry what's your last name again?"

"Magdalen."

"Right, yeah. He's FBI and has six other agents. I'm with MI6 and there are five others with me. Who are you and of how many?" Maxine demanded. Obviously she was some sort of leader among her group, judging by the temperament in which she spoke.

"I'm Michael, that's Chestine, and she's Carrie. It's just the four of us."

"And what's her name?"