Chapter seven

Shane's POV

It had been a long 3 hours at the office and the replacement PA was starting to get on my nerves. So far she's messed up the meetings, spilt my coffee and couldn't even get the right sandwich from the deli round the corner. Eventually I had to call Amy even though I knew she was busy with a family event but I had to know where those files were.

"Hello." Amy's voice came through my phone.
"Amy I know its your time off but I really need to know where those files for the meeting with Mr Gomez are."
"Of course sir." Amy said.

I could hear a woman shouting in the background. "Has he no decency its your wedding day and he's still got you doing work." The woman shouted.

"They're in the system under urgent, Gomez."
"Thanks Amy enjoy your break." I hung up the phone. I wonder why she didn't tell me she was getting married.  I decided to call Rose.

"What's up?" Rose answered on the third ring.
"Did you know Amy was getting married?"
"Really you called me to gossip?" I could practically hear her rolling her eyes.
"No I called for you to find out where she is staying, upgrade her to the best room they have and send her a bottle of champagne." I folded my arms.
"Alright then any thing else?"
"Not just now." Rose hung up on me and I continued to work.

It had been about 2 hours when I got a phone call off an unknown number. I thought about ending it but 8 answered it anyway.

"Is this Mr Shane Charcoal?" A woman's voiced asked.
"It is may I ask who this is?"
"I'm Sarah Windsor I work as a nurse at 5th avenue hospital. You are listed as Miss Claire Danes emergency contact. We will need you to come in right away."
I felt dizzy. "Is Claire alright? What's happened?" She can't leave me I only just got her back.
"Miss Danes is ok but I'm afraid there's a problem with the pregnancy."

I hung up and ran as fast as I could to the elevator. As soon as the doors opened I bolted to the car. Jackson saw my panic and started to drive. "Hospital 5th avenue." I barked at him and we sped down all the streets until we pulled up outside the hospital.

I rushed in and up to the desk where the receptionist was tying away. "Miss Claire Danes what room is she in?" I tried to sound polite.
"She's in room 462. Take the stairs over there to floor 3." She pointed round the corner.
"Thank you." I ran towards the stairs taking them 2 at a time.

It took forever but I finally found room 462. Pushing the door open I found claire sitting on a bed with an IV drip in her arm and tears rolling down her face. Beside her was a nurse and she was doing an ultrasound on her.

"The.. The baby..." Claire sobbed. "I tripped at work... Fell into the desk... I lost the baby..."

The world seemed to stop as I took in what was happening. I felt my feet move over to her and I sat on the bed as she cried in my arms. I felt angry. I was angry that I didn't try harder to convince claire to stay home. If I had tried harder she wouldn't have lost the child. My child.

I had my doubt's about being a father but I was just starting to adjust to it and now it won't happen. I'd never get to hold my child. I couldn't take it and I broke down in front of Claire.

"I'm so.. Sorry. If I had tried harder... I should have stopped you going work... If I had then... Then you wouldn't have fallen... Its all my fault." I hid my face in my hands.

"Its not your fault. Its not. Its not." Claire kept repeating it as she hugged me and we both sat there and we cried over the loss of out baby.

Why did this have to happen? Why now when things were just starting to get good again.

After an hour Claire was discharged and we both went home. I called up at the office to let them know I won't be in for a few days. Jackson drove us home in silence while Claire leant on my chest and I rubbed her back.

Once in the apartment Claire disappeared to have a shower and I went to sit in my office. I called my family to tell them what had happened and managed to convince my mum not to come out here. I looked up as I saw movement to see Claire standing in the doorway. She came over to me and sat on my lap and I hugged her close.

I don't know how long we had sat there for before I picked her up in my arms and carried her to bed. I stripped her down to her panties and shirt and I did the same as I got into bed beside her.

I put my arms around her and cradled her small body to mine. I felt her shaking with tears and I couldn't stop mine either. Eventually we both fell into a dreamless sleep.