Sunday Night Live

Scene 1: Jace's Car

Heather Blakely

"Would you just calm down?" Jace huffed and slammed his hands against the steering wheel.

"No! Why should I?" I shouted at him.

"Because you're overreacting!"

"You bring me out to some sleazy bar in poor town when there are plenty of better bars closer to home, one your family owns, might I add. If that wasn't bad enough, you didn't pay a cent of attention to me the whole time we were there. And to top it all off, I find out we went there so you could meet some slut, yeah?"

He sighs, "that's not true, babe."

"Maybe you're right, she's not the slut, you are."

"We didn't come to meet her, it was a coincidence!"

"Sure, it was." I roll my eyes, "just take me home, Jace."

"Whatever, Heather." He gives up, finally deciding to turn the car on and pull out of the parking space marked by faded white lines. The bar, Liquid Dream, was filled to the brim with motorcycle gangs and punk kids who looked like colorful vampires. We had to pay the bartender, a 40-year-old man with metal hanging out of every free piece of skin, $100 to serve us drinks because we're minors. The place was a joke.

I can see Jace continuously glance over at me from the corner of my eye, but I don't give him the satisfaction of acknowledgment. I hear him sigh before his hand moves to the radio and he presses play on a CD he has in.

Fucking Bryan Adams. If I have to hear this album one more time I'll implode.

I reach over and eject the disk.

"Okay, Heather, are you done yet?" He says in annoyance, but I don't respond. "How long are you going to be upset? You're jealous because of Rayanne? That's stupid. One day, we'll laugh about this."

"Rayanne...so that's her name?" I shrug. "Do you bring all your girlfriends to meet your pretty blue-haired friend? Or am I just special?"

"Yeah, yeah, Heather. Real special," he scoffs. "You're a pain in the ass, that's what you are."

"Oh, and what makes you so much better, huh? Please, I'm dying to know."

"I'm not the one being a bitch!" I gasped, my jaw dropping in shock. He let out a breath to calm himself down and ran one of his hands through his hair. "Heather...you know I didn't mean-"

"Pull over!" I shouted.

"Baby, don't be like this."

"Now, Jace! Or I swear I will-"

"Fine, God," he groaned and shifted to the side of the road, pulling up near a diner. As soon as the car came to a stop, I angrily fiddled with the lock before opening the door. "Where are you going, babe?"

"Away from you!" I slam his car door.

"Please get back in the car, it's not safe for you to be out here this late. Not in this part of the city." Oh, you didn't think of that when you took me to that gross bar.