Cold and Freezing

Scene 1: Johnny's Grill

Leo Rylin

"Are you sure this is all you want?" I pass Zach a straw for his milkshake.

"Yeah, thanks for buying. I only get like ten dollars every two weeks if I'm lucky." He shrugs and I nod understandably.

I used to be the same way when I was younger, you know, before the drugs. I'm not saying I deal heavily, but when I'm given product, I make it move. Nothing crazy, just naturally grown weed gifted to me by friends who expect me to smoke it myself. I've never really had a taste for the stuff, though.

"So...Zach," I spoke hesitantly. "I brought you here for a reason, and I think you know why..."

"...you said we were hanging out with the guys?"

"I mean, we are, but they're not here yet, and I wanted to talk with you for a bit first." I shrug casually, though I'm freaking out on the inside.

I've been trying to avoid it for a while, hell, I think I've been avoiding him. I don't want to come off at him the wrong way, but is there a proper way to ask: "Hey, man, are you gay?" I feel like he would've told me, and I'm not even sure if I'm in the position to question him on it.

Am I supposed to wait for him to tell me?

"Alright?" He seems to tense up. I basically pulled the "we need to talk" card and gave even myself anxiety.

"You know you're like a kid brother to me, right?" I ask rhetorically. "We can tell each other anything." ...mostly.

"Like what?" He furrows his eyebrows before redirecting his attention to his milkshake.

"Uh- well, I guess I'll start then," I sigh and try to think of something to say,"...Cherry Marshall and I had this sort of fling, and when I tried to end it, she got upset and did some...things to try to convince me otherwise. She's difficult sometimes, I think all girls can be difficult at times...don't you?"

"I mean, yeah? I guess, I never really thought about it."

"Sure, but the night I didn't want to go see her, you told Danny that you'd go, instead. What did you plan on doing?"

Now, this, I've been wondering ever since I realized Zach was probably into guys. Cherry Marshall is definitely not a guy, I can attest to that.

"I dunno, Cherry has a dog, and we're not allowed pets in our apartments, so it's nice seeing hers. Plus, she thinks I'm adorable and gives me all the snacks in her house when I'm there," Zach smiles as he laughs.

"Oh, so no intention of kissing her or anything, huh?" I raise my eyebrows.

"Nah, she's your girl and way too old for me," he says without hesitation.

"I'd tell you she's up for grabs now, but you already have someone, right?" Zach shrugs in response. "They were at the sleepover we dropped you off at, right?" He kept his head down to avoid eye contact. "...it's a boy, right?" Zach finally looked up at me, his breath visibly quicker, and his eyes locked on mine like a deer in headlights. "Zach, are you-" I'm cut off by the sound of loud but distant chattering. Matt walks in with Jordan and some girl I've never seen before.

Matt runs over and obnoxiously drums on the table. "Leo! Zachy-boy! How's it hanging?"

"Things are razor, Matt. Where've you been?" I sigh.

"Getting high with this asshole and his pretty lady," Matt laughs and points toward Jordan and the unnamed girl as they walk up to the table.

"Yeah, and we're starving so let's order half the menu, okay?" Jordan asks and looks around the table in hopes of assurance.