Chapter 7

It's December 16th and it's our last day before winter break. It has been almost two months since Victor and I started dating. No other problems have occurred since then, not even with James.  I wake up almost late for school today only because I was helping my mom out yesterday moving our huge dinner table into the house for a family tradition Christmas dinner. My family always has this dinner every year and this year, it's at our place. My mom's side of the family only attends though. She's not too fond of my dad's side. I get ready for school and head downstairs to eat a quick breakfast. My mom later comes downstairs and fixes herself a cup of coffee as I sit at the table. 

"So, when do I get to meet your new boyfriend?" my mom asks as she sits down next to me. "I hear he's very nice."

I chuckle a little bit. "Well, he is very nice. He should be coming to the family dinner for Christmas." I take a bite out of my cereal. "I'm also bringing Chelsea as usual."

She nods in affirmation. "All right, that's fine with me. Looks like we will have a full table that night. Make sure you let them know that your Uncle Jeff is coming, and he tends to borrow things and also has sticky fingers. Tell them to not bring anything eye-catching." She takes a sip from her cup. "I am not going back to work until after the New Year I guess."

"How come, mom?"

"My boss got tired of me." she chugs the rest of her coffee and holds onto the coffee mug. "He said that I'm working too much and that I need to take a break. But I alert to him that I'm not in the mood to take a break. But he was giving an order, not a suggestion so." 

I giggle. "Mom, you do need a break." I get up from my seat to put my bowl in the sink. I then come behind my mom's chair and hug her from behind. "You have been working hard, but a little too hard."

She sighs. "I know. I'm still a bit anxious and upset. Like, the killer never showed up back in my home. I've been searching for him since your father died. Went through training, obstacles, sleepless nights. I just can't seem to find out why he hasn't come back. I want to end this nightmare knowing that he's freely roaming the earth doing as he pleases." She rubs my arm. "I feel as if I'm also neglecting you as well, mija. So, during this time that I'm off, we are gonna spend more time together."

I start to feel sad and guilty. My mom really loves me and loved my dad. She was happy and yes, started off as a clerk for the organization she now works as a hunter for. She was less stressed and didn't have to chug cups of coffee to stay awake in order to have no nightmares. And me keeping the secret that the killer has come back to kill me, makes me feel selfish. 

I grab my mom's empty mug. "Well, we are gonna start by drinking less coffee."

She laughs. "You're lucky it's not wine." she taps my hand. "I'm going to take you to school this morning, okay?"

I let go of my mom and place her cup in the sink. "Can I drive?" I ask.

"No," she says laughing.

We both get inside her car and I end up in the passenger seat. My mom drives me to school, and I kiss her on her cheek before exiting out her car. I meet up with Chelsea in the parking lot and we both walk together inside the school. I express to her about what my mom said, but very briefly. And I also alert her about how I was feeling about it as well.

"Well, she does deserve to know," Chelsea says. "It did happen in her house. And believe it or not, you're both traumatized about that situation."

I jerk my head in confusion. "What do you mean by traumatize? Yes, my mom is because she relies on coffee and other caffeinated drinks. I am able to sleep."

"You do not feel safe in your house," Chelsea replies. "Until Victor showed up and became your guardian angel sent from the universe." she lowers her tone. "And you also became bulimic because you were afraid too much meat on your bones would attract a vampire. Honey, you were and probably still are traumatized."