Chapter 10

"Jenna, please tell me that you're kidding," my mom told me with a straight face. 

I honestly thought about what my mom would say if I would've brought Victor to her before the Christmas Eve Dinner. I actually didn't know that I would be dating him and my mom would picture me with a nerd or a smart person that's going to Yale or Rutgers. However, if she can be with James and I have to accept it, I can be with Victor and she has to accept it.

"No, mom I am not kidding," I replied. "Victor is actually my boyfriend."

She smiled. "Can everyone please excuse me and my daughter from the kitchen?"

Everyone left the kitchen and my mom looked at me with a disapproval facial expression. I crossed my arms and leaned up against the wall next to the sink. 

"Okay, Jenna." My mom started. "Are you trying to get back at me because I'm dating James and you don't like him?"

In a way, she's right and wrong. I realized that my mom wouldn't have approved of Victor, but I actually started dating Victor before my mom started dating James. I looked at my mom in her eyes. "No mom. I am not trying to get back at you."

She scoffed. "C'mon Jenna. You're not gonna sit there and tell me that you're dating a guy that looks like he has been on a wanted list for the police."

"No, I'm gonna stand here and tell you that this is the guy that I have been dating for more than two months; almost three. His name is Victor Sullivan and he is 18 years old."

She chuckled. "He looks 22." she tapped her chin twice. "His name sounds familiar."

I took a deep breath. "Mom, I am over your boyfriend being here with you, okay? I'm not trying to get back at you, but I want you to accept Victor the way I excepted James."

"You're very good, Jenna. Just like your father, you have an amazing sense of humor." she gave out a fake laugh. "Now, make him leave."

My mom actually thinks I'm lying about Victor being my boyfriend. I shook my head. "No. I brought him over so he can meet you. I'm not gonna waste his time like that. Just try to get to know him at the dinner table. Please?"

My mom looked down. "Isn't he the guy that got arrested and accused for raping a 17 year-old girl at a party?" she looked up at me.

Shoot! I forgot about that, I thought. "Mom he didn't rape her. She lied on him and his friends and somebody testified at court saying that it was a lie."

"Mmm, hmm." she turned to the stove. "Okay, I'll give him a shot. But if he blows it, he is to never see you again or I will personally hurt him badly."

I got kinda happy because she is giving him a chance, but she killed some of my happiness when she talked about hurting him. I went into the dining room and made sure the table cloth was straightened out on the table. I felt Victor grab my left hand.

"She knows about what happened?" he asked me.

I kinda figured he heard my mom and me talking. "I told her the truth and she never said that she didn't believe me." I looked at him and he looked like he has been crying. "Are you okay, Vic?"

He nodded. "I just was hoping that Ms. Monica wasn't gonna kick me out because of my name being caught up in some crap like that."

I kissed his cheek. "You're okay, baby." 

We sat down at the dinner table and I heard the door open. I knew it was James because Victor rested his head on my shoulder and squeezed my hand a little. Everyone came inside the dining room and sat down at the table. Chelsea sat on my right side and my mom brought the turkey, ham, rice, mac n' cheese, and cornbread and placed it in the middle of the table. She sat across from me with James being on her right across from Victor. We prayed and gave thanks before we started digging into the food.