Conflict De-Escalation and Resolution

"Easy!" I got my hands in the air quickly. Roran narrowed his eyes and began to say something, but was quickly distracted by the huge white dragon shooting out of the water.

'DON'T TOUCH HIM!' Anareem screamed, blasting her voice out to the entire boat rather than just me.

"Anareem don't!" I whirled to face her as Roran scrambled away, drawing his hammer. "We're not going to fight!"

She slowly sank back into the water, but her snarl didn't disappear as I turned back to face the group. Several makeshift weapons were drawn.

"The only reason I didn't say anything was because I wasn't sure how your group would react to a Dragon Rider, given the current circumstances." I explained, keeping my hands up. "I didn't want to endanger her."

"Her? The dragon?"

"Her name is Anareem. She's only a couple months old and while I completely trust her to take care of herself, I will not let any of you harm her." I lowered my hands, but didn't move for my sword. That would just make a bad situation worse. "If it helps, Roran, she's the reason I knew to save that little girl at the falls."

That made him pause, and I took a deep breath. I could talk my way out of this. Roran was logical. And the others would hopefully follow him. I was fairly confident they would.

"Lower your weapons." He finally said.

I breathed a silent sigh of relief. "Thank you, Roran."

"What about her?" The ferry master gestured to Anareem. "She won't fit on the barges."

"She'll swim." I shrugged. "She'll be fine, she's smart and she's got the endurance."

"I guess we have to thank you, anyway, for getting us out of there with our lives." Roran added. "You saved Morn and his family as well."

"It was the logical action. I've never liked leaving people behind." I rubbed my palm absentmindedly, then looked down at it. "Does anyone have a scrap of cloth I could use? This is kind of a big give-away." I held my palm up. There were whispers in the group.

The woman I had saved stepped forward, holding the scrap I'd used before. "It got caught on my bracelet." She handed it to me with a soft smile. "Thank you."

I smiled back. "Thank you, for trusting me. Are you and your husband and child alright?"

"Yes, we're fine. A little shaken up, but other than that we're okay."

"Better that than in prison. Or worse." The man I had saved added in. Morn. And his wife was Tara. I didn't know their child's name.

'Percy.'

I looked over at Anareem. She was still floating next to the barge. I excused myself and walked over to her.

'Are you okay?'

"Yeah, I'm fine. Are you okay? No one saw you?"

She chuckled. 'You caused enough commotion that I wasn't seen.'

"Well that's good, at least."

She swam closer and leaned up. I gently touched her nose.

'You miss your home.' She said quietly.

I sighed and looked down. I do. No use in letting the entire barge hear our conversation. I miss Annabeth too.

'Your mate?'

Sort of. I chuckled. It works a little differently for humans, but yes, I'd hoped so.

She nudged my hand again with her head. 'Come on, swim with me. It will make you feel better.'

I smiled a little. If you really want me to.... "Roran."

The leader of the group looked over and I pointed to Anareem. "We're going for a swim. I'll be back."

He nodded and I stripped off my shirt, diving into the water.

The sea here was much more vibrant than in New York. I suppose it makes sense, the oceans on Earth have quite a bit of pollution that this world doesn't seem to have yet.

Anareem smacked me lightly with her tail. 'I'm hungry.'

"So?" I laughed. "Hunt for yourself, you're capable."

'You're so boring.' She complained before diving off. I laughed and watched her swoop down into the reeds far below us.

Find anything good?

'Shut up! You're distracting.'

Rude. I laughed.

Eventually she swam back up to me, swallowing a large fish as she did.

"Got what you wanted?" I smiled.

She pushed me with her nose. 'You should probably go up for air, otherwise someone's going to start questioning how you've been down here for so long.'

"I think I've got my story straight enough that I'll be okay." I chuckled, but shot up towards the surface anyway.

"Enjoying yourself?" Roran was leaning against the railing when I surfaced. I grinned.

"Feels like home. I love it."

"And... her? What did you say her name was?"

"Anareem? Yeah, she's great. She loves the water."

Confirming my statement, Anareem shot high into the air above the barges, an arc of water following her tail as she flicked herself into a backflip. I saw several small heads pop up, excited children watching in awe as the brilliantly white dragon looped gracefully over them and slipped soundlessly into the water again.

You're popular.

'Of course I am. I'm gorgeous.'

[A/N Anareem is a Big Mood]