I Wish I Could Help You Home

TW: Mention of blood and death near the end of the chapter

Eragon went for the castle when the army reached the city, and I stayed with the army. Anareem swooped above as we tore through the city, dealing with the King's Laughing Dead.

"Roran, send men to check the buildings!" I shouted, leaping over a soldier completely and slashing out behind me. I didn't look to see what damage I'd done, knowing it hit in the right place. "We don't want anyone getting behind us!"

I heard Roran yell in response, but didn't actually listen to what he was saying. Several men peeled off from the main body that was fighting, running to the sides.

A burst of white-hot magic flew past me and I glanced over my shoulder. Angela shot me a grin and slammed her diamond sword forward into a soldier.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Natasa throwing herself into another fight, her teeth bared. When she fought I could definitely tell she was from an older time, everything was feral.

Tinkledeath sliced past my face and I jumped backwards sharply.

"Pay attention, Water Boy." Angela teased, laughing. She seemed to be enjoying herself, especially with her newfound control over her magic.

I'd sat down with her for several days and taught her about controlling natural magical abilities. She wasn't worried about overusing her power anymore, and she had a very good grasp of how to use it right.

I dispatched another enemy and turned to glance up at the castle on top of the cliff.

Just as I looked up, the entire building exploded.

Angela cursed loudly.

"Give me a lift."

She frowned at me. "What?"

Anareem came swooping down the street, tucking her wings and getting as low as possible. I pointed to her and Angela nodded, understanding.

I ran at her and jumped. She crouched and as I came down towards her, a massive silver shield appeared on her arm.

She hurled me up into the air and I grabbed Anareem's claw, climbing my way up onto her back as her wings opened and she made a beeline for the castle.

We landed at the edge of the rubble and I climbed off, drawing Riptide and looking around. 

Eragon stumbled out of the mess, his hair sticking up in all directions and his face covered in dust. He saw me and grinned.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes. Murtagh is getting Nasuada."

I took a deep breath and nodded. "Do you need any help?"

A pile of rubble moved and I jumped, facing it.

Saphira shook herself as she climbed out of the rocks. She huffed angrily and flicked her tail like an agitated cat.

"I think we're okay."

An unearthly scream echoed from the fighting below. I felt my stomach drop, something in my mind screaming that I needed to get to whoever made that sound.

I ran back to Anareem, who was already turning around and staring down at the city.

She leapt off the ledge as I seated myself in the saddle. Tucking her wings, we spiraled down into the mess.

What was left of the King's army was turning tail and being chased down by fighters.

"Percy!" I heard my name as I dropped into the fray again and ran in that direction, keeping Riptide out.

Angela suddenly appeared in front of me. "Quickly, I need your help! This way!"

She dragged me away from the fight, into the doorway of a house nearby. The tiles were stained red, which made my stomach churn uncomfortably again.

There was a quiet, pained gasp from inside the room.

"In here, I need your help to get her fixed up-"

"Natasa!"

I ran over to the low couch in the middle of the room. Natasa grimaced, her hands around what looked like the shaft of a spear.

"Angela tell me what to do." I said quickly, looking over her.

Angela started to rattle off instructions, and I followed them without question.

"Perseus."

Natasa's hand shook as she reached over weakly to grab my wrist.

"Let me die."

"No." I responded stubbornly, doing the next thing Angela had told me to.

"Perseus... Stop, I cannot go back."

"Natasa, you will get through this, I promised I would get you home-"

Natasa slapped my wrist, shaking her head again and gritting her teeth. "Allow me to die, son of Poseidon. Our world will not be like what I remember anymore, and I have been away from my love for too long."

I froze, staring at her. She'd never spoken in the common tongue before.

"Please...." She shook her head, tears running down her face. "Allow me this."

Angela paused, looking at me. I gritted my teeth and took a deep breath.

"We will have proper funerals for those who died here." I promised her quietly. "We will burn yours and your lover's shrouds together."

Natasa smiled weakly and closed her eyes. "Thank you...."

Her hand went limp in mine and I bit back tears, squeezing it.

"When this is over, we need to wrap her body and cremate it."