Chapter 1

3:37 AM. Sitting at Dave's Diner, the 24 hour diner down the street from my apartment. I came downstairs after my wet dream. This is the second night that I had dirty dreams about Rex. I'm staring down at Rex Hunter's stills from Vast Vindication's show two nights ago. I'm a music photographer for some flashy magazine here in New York City. Not something I see myself doing forever but it has it perks. Like getting so close to Rex Hunter, I can feel his sweat dripping on me... Mmm. What? Don't tell you wouldn't want sweat from a musical sex god you've been lusting over for the last three years. Ever since their show the other night, I can't get him out of my mind.

In reality, I've never really met any of these artist and celebrities I'm sent to photograph. I'm not allowed to geek out and ask for photographs. Sadly, when I was asked to photograph James Hetfield for an article being written on their new album, I had to behave like I didn't care. My inner Metallica number 1 fan was crushed.

Back to the present, I look at my watch, only 7 minutes has passed. I groan and grab my laptop and phone. Pay my bill and head back to my apartment. I have to meet my best friend, Olivia, for lunch. As soon as I open the door to my apartment, I head straight for my bed and I'm out before I can even put on my PJ's.

Aqua's "Barbie Girl" wakes me up. It's Olivia's ringtone. I lazily throw my arm around my bed trying to find my phone. I answer without even opening my eyes.

"Whaaaat?" I say sleepily.

"Where in the world are you? I've been waiting for half hour." Liv says and I can hear her holding back anger, which only means she's with her boyfriend, Ryan. I jump out of bed, trying to change out of last night's clothes.

"Shit, sorry. I was up late. Forgot to set the alarm. Be there in 15." I hang up.

I brush my teeth, my hair and wash my face. I wear the nicest casual dress, black of course, and shoes I own, add some mascara, lipgloss and pinch my cheeks. I never like to look a hot mess when I'm around Ryan.

I've been in love with Ryan for years. I know what it sounds like, "You're a shit friend, Violet." Hm, well yes that's only like half true. Let me explain. I met Ryan three years ago at a coffee shop by the magazine agency. We'd bump into each other every other morning an engage in small talk. Turns out he was a lawyer at a firm nearby. He was one of the sexiest man I've ever met. 6' 2", olive skin, neatly trimmed beard, one small sexy dimple one his right cheek and the brightest green eyes you'd ever seen.

After about a year of friendly flirting, I asked if he'd like to meet for drinks. He agreed and met me by the local bar by where we both worked. After an hour of more friendly flirting, I spot Olivia by herself sulking over a martini. Her eyes meets mine and huge smile comes over her face. She comes over to our table and explained how she was stood up by some asshole from her gym and wasn't going to waste the night. The moment Ryan got a look at Olivia, I knew I was chopped liver. Long story short, Ryan and Olivia went home together that night and been together since.
Okay, I know Liv sounds like the total shit friend now but in my defense, I never mentioned Ryan to her and introduced him as a friend that night because he was nothing more. Plus the way he looked at her, I don't think he ever looked at me that way so I let it go. My feelings for him never went away but I never said anything about it. I'm used to it, used to the pretty blond girls getting the hot guys I'm interested in. It's hardwired into my mind, so it is what it is.

I arrive at the cafe in exactly 15 minutes. Score! Olivia is sitting in the outside portion of the dining area, waving me down.

"Vi! Ugh I missed you!" She says embracing me.

"Liv, you saw me three days ago." I say giggling.

"Oh, shut it. You know I'm just excited to see you, that's all." She says, sitting back down.
I take a seat and glance at Ryan, who is looking at me and has a weird expression on his face I cant read.

"Hi Ryan! How are you?" I ask.

"I'm great, Violet. How are you? Looking beautiful as always" He says back.

I nod at his response because I'm not sure how to respond other than "and you look good enough to eat". Speaking of eating and a subject change, I grab the menu hoping to take my mind of of the delectable man in front of me.

"Vi, we have news!" Liv sings.

I look up at her then at Ryan with my eyes keeping my head still directed at the menu. "Yes...?" I say slowly.

Liv has a huge smile on her face, hands on her cheeks. Ryan looks at me then at Olivia with that weird expression again. Still don't know what it means.

"We're engaged!" Liv screams.

For a second, the shit friend in me is frozen and all I can think of is "Aw, shit."

"Holy shit! Congrats guys!" I leap up and grab Olivia in a hug. I'm happy for her, she really deserves it. As much as I'd love to be the next Mrs. Carter, this was inevitable. The love they have for each other is simply beautiful and the selfish me envies it. I look at Ryan and give him a huge smile. He stands up and gives me a hug.
Despite my feelings for Ryan, I really am excited for them. Liv and Ryan couldn't be more perfect for each other. I just have to find a way to get over these feelings and find me a great lay.