Chapter 25 The Betrayal

Winter's Pov

Firyn has been staying with my pack for almost three months now and has only been caught abusing Nuonna twice. I find that the less he hovers near Nuonna and me, the better. If he would stop analyzing our land, that would ease my worried nerves a great deal. But, I fear that he has a plan to destroy my pack and I must stop him if he does put his plan into action. Every day, I find him standing near one of our borders writing on a piece of paper. The small action allows a bit of fear to crawl its way into my heart. If what I think is correct, he is drawing out a map of our territory to give to one of our enemies. This would be catastrophic in the long run if each of our enemies knew how to break our defenses. Another interesting choice on my father's part was that he allowed Firyn's new dwelling to be in a closed off area of our home, something that I would have never allowed had I been the one dealing with his room and board. 

Walking through my home I pass by Firyn's door on my way to help build homes for the new married couples of the pack. Stopping just past his door, I do a double take and notice that Firyn's door has been left open, allowing anyone to enter easily. Allowing curiosity to get the best of me, I peek in to check if he is there, only to see an empty room, thinking nothing of it, I slowly enter. The piercing quiet coupled with the eerie darkness in the room unsettles me as I look around. He furnished his room to be quite dark, even though he did cover all of his windows with curtains. The bed was low to the ground with a red silk cover draping over it, two spiraling wooden tables on each side of the bed. Each table had a small drawer that could hold something minorly important. Looking to my right I notice that he has a large oak table covered with papers, plants, and strangely colored potions. Jars hang on shelves, holding mysterious items that I could never hope to learn the names of. A tiny piece of paper with dark marks on it caught my eye as I gave the room a complete once-over. Going over to the long table, I decide to levitate the items that were on top of the paper a foot above the desk. The only thing there was a blueprint for creating a potion. Knowing that it had to be in here, I think long and hard about where the item may be. It suddenly dawns on me that it could be below his bed. Hesitantly laying down on the floor I look underneath the bed and spot a piece of paper within arms reach. Stretching to grab it, I place my hand on top of it and pull it towards me. Bringing the piece of paper into the light I see exactly what Firyn has been working on for the past three months. He has drawn every single part of my territory from the houses in the village to the trees on our borders. The detail in the drawing worries me due to what he may be planning to use this in-depth drawing for. Deciding that taking the original copy would be too dangerous, I opt to create a new copy. Summoning a piece of paper into my hands, I set it on the floor. Glancing one more time at the drawing, I flip it over and notice that he has put notes on it with small, cursive writing. 

My eyes bounce back and forth between each sentence. 'Area to the North has an open area that is left unchecked for a small gap of time around midnight.' Then,'Main home is well-guarded. No gaps in security to exploit. Must lure them outside. Right below the Northern border. 'Don't attack the Southern border. Near to their military base. Guards everywhere.' 'Western border has minimum security revolving at all times. Could be exploitable. Near to the infirmary and most of the pack homes.' 'Eastern border has a decent amount of guards in the rotation. Do NOT attack here.' 'Their armory is nowhere to be found. It must be in a secret underground area. Do not waste your time trying to take their weapons.' 'Their fighting styles vary quite significantly. Each fighter has an array of moves to take down opponents. Be wary of close fighting.' My eyes widen in horror, the magnitude of the situation truly setting in. He's helping our enemies take us down. Throwing the piece of paper next to the blank one, I place my hands on both papers and concentrate. I pull the image with my right hand and push it onto the blank piece of paper, my arms both begin burning during the process due to the difficulty of using this power. Within a minute, the picture has been copied perfectly onto the paper, flipping it over I see that I also copied every piece of writing. Folding my copy up, I place it into a hidden compartment in my jacket, putting the original back in its place. Knowing that I overstayed my welcome, I leave the room in a hurry, leaving everything as I had found it. Composing my self as I walked out of my house, I risk a glance at the locked garden gate, hoping to all things heavenly that Nuonna will be safe in there without any interference from Firyn. Pushing those thoughts from my mind I head to the building site, praying that I won't be late.