The Not So Good Ol' Days

Dedicated to only-open-username

After I got Jack to leave, I sat on my cot and put my head in my hands. I started to think back on how I got the Black Crow.

( Insert flashback noise.)

I had just been kicked out of the military school I had got a scholarship for and was going home so my mother could yell at me. I had been kicked out for fighting with another boy who according to the school "came from an actual distinguished military background" unlike me a bastard child who "lied" my way in. I had arrived at my house and knew what was coming. My mom was obsessed with me being in the Navy. She seemed to believe that if I was good enough my so called father "Commander Norington" would come back and fall in love with her for giving him a worthy hair. All my life I had to live up to the unrealistic standard of a man I have yet to meet. I knew this would be the last straw for my mother and she would likely chew me out for days, maybe even disown me. That didn't matter to me, I had a plan to leave anyway. Norington was coming to a nearby port and he wouldn't be staying long. They were only anchoring the ship. So I was gonna steal it and ... well thats as far as I've gotten with the plan but I'll figure it out. "Mother I'm home." I said calmly waiting for for the yelling to start. " Demos you useless little bastard. I can't believe you got kicked out. This was your golden chance to get your father to notice you and you blew it! You are going to march your useless self down to the Navy offices and beg and pray to god they let you in or so help me I'll-!" "You'll what? " I cut her off with a sneer. "Don't you dare talk to me like that I'm your MOTHER you WILL RESPECT me or I'll disown you and make you a proper BASTARD!" She yelled at me. "You know that threat might have worked when I was 6 but I'm 16 now mother and it doesn't matter to me what you do because I'm done. I'm leaving tonight and, god willing, I'll never have to see you again. So for the last time goodbye mother." While I was talking I had grabbed my sword, pistol and shot, and my long black leather coat. I had commissioned the sword from a local black smith. It was a beautiful rapier with steel that I had polished to perfection, and the pistol and coat I had were actually from a pirate who had helped me out when I was being mugged by some bandits when I was 13. It was winter and I hadn't been able to save enough money to buy myself a coat, the pirate took off his coat and put it around my shoulders. It was big but it was warm so I didn't care. "You gotta learn to look out for yourself kid because no one else is gonna." He told me putting the pistol in my hand and walking away. I took them because it reminded me of that lesson. I walked out hearing my mother yelling about how I better not show my face near her house ever again and how I was officially disowned but I didn't care I walked away with a smile on my face.

(Time skip - 5 months later)

I had somehow made it to Havana and anchored at a nearby port. I was so tired I fell asleep on a pile of ropes on the deck while Hashat slept below deck. Next thing I know I hear someone walking around on deck. At first I thought I was hearing things until I heard it again along with the sound of officers running around calling to check the ships. I sat up quickly looking around. I saw a man trying to get the anchor up. The officers were getting close. I must have made some noise because he looked over at me and started motioning me to help him lift the anchor. I looked him up and down noticing that he was dressed like a pirate so I decided to help. Then the officers were at my ship. He turned toward me and said "Now we run savvy?" "Savvy, you pirate." I said with a smirk. thats how I met Jack. Stayed with me for a while took me to Tortuga to pick out a crew. I had already run into Hashat escaping from a salavers and he had joined my crew. We also found Dante and Gabriel Angelo adrift on the way, Dante was good but his brother was too young for most crews and Dante wouldn't leave his brother so he took him with him as a stowaway.they we're thrown off the ship for it. Marcus Gunn who was q great shot and new to the Navy was being hung in Tortuga be for he was hung I grabbed him from the guards and asked him if he wanted to join instead, he chose my crew. Jonny Walker, no one would hire him because he was a known drunk. And an old friend Jonathan Morningstar, he had also been kicked out of the school a year before me. We caught up when I found him and Jonny in a bad spot with some bandits and he decided to join me. Then we traveled around plundering as we saw fit I made Hashat my first mate luckily Jonathan didn't have any hard feelings. Apparently I pissed off the wrong person because they sent an assassin after me. He saw the way I treated my crew like family, he told me why he was there and asked if I would allow him to join. His name was Senji Koro. Jack had left at this point and I went back to Havana to look for a certain type of whisky that Jonny liked. I ran into Edward Polaris instead. After he sobered up and realized how young I was, he became very paternal towards me. I didn't mind because I'd always wanted a father figure. Then I ran into a kid whose father was trying to sell him to pay off his debts in Tortuga. Thomas Kinway was 13 when I first met him, the same age I was when I met that pirate. I paid off his father's debt but the man insisted I take Thomas. Said he would get me good money at a slave port, I told Thomas to go back to the ship and I beat his father within an inch of his life. I told him if he ever came close to Thomas again I'd kill him.

( Flashback over)

I must have fallen asleep at some point because I woke up to a light tap on my cabin door. I opened the door to find Thomas and Edward at my door. Before I could ask why they were there Edward spoke up "I just wanted to check on you lad and Thomas here had a nightmare said something about a lullaby so I'll leave him with you." He turned to walk away and I was still half asleep so as he did I said "Goodnight Dad." without thinking. When I realized what I had done I froze. He just turned his head back to me with a soft smile and said "Goodnight my sons." while looking at me and Thomas and he walked away. Thomas just gave a sleepy smile as I guided him into my cabin and laid him down on the cot. "Can you sing me the lullaby you used to when I had a nightmare?" "Of course little brother." so i started to sing.

I remember tears streaming down your face when I said I'll never let you go.
When all those shadows almost killed your light
I remember you said don't leave me here alone
But all that's dead and gone and passed tonight
Just close your eyes, the sun is going down
You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now
Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound
Don't you dare look out your window, darling everything's on fire
The war outside our door keeps raging on
Hold onto this lullaby even when the musics gone, gone
Just close your eyes, the sun is going down
You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now
Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound
Just close your eyes, you'll be alright
Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound

After I finished I noticed the kid had fallen asleep cuddled up to me. I didn't have the heart to move him so I let him sleep in my cabin. I shifted to get up and go outside but Thomas moved closer and twisted his hand into my shirt. I sighed but settled down to rest. As I closed my eyes I heard someone enter the cabin.

Jacks' POV

I quietly opened the door to the cabin to check on Demos and Thomas. One of Thomas's hands was twisted in Demos' shirt and Demos was laying asleep with his arm wrapped around Thomas's shoulder. I smiled as I approached and laid a small kiss to Demos' cheek and pulled the blanket tighter around them. "Sleep well love." I whispered to Demos. "Goodnight Thomas." I said as an afterthought. I exited the cabin with a small smile across my face.